Nikon D90 or Canon Rebel T2i for a Rookie

little squirt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I really want to upgrade from my regular point and shoot cameras to a REAL camera.

Im very new to photography and have been searching around here for quite a while so I decided to open this thread becuase I still can't answer my own question.

What do you think of these choices for a rookie, newb person looking to expand their skills?

Are these cameras too much for entry level person gettin into DSLR? I will basically be using this for hobby & weekend photos, nothing professional, just want to learn and be able to get some shots that people stop and say, WOW thats a nice picture.

Thank you all for your time and any replys! Keep the awesome pictures coming, this is a great forum!

Charlie

Both are very good choices. :)

Personally I prefer Canon slightly... But Nikon makes great stuff as well. :)

Keep in mind that buying an SLR/dSLR is more of a system then just a camera. The lenses/accessories from one aren't made to work with the other without adapters and stuff...

I struggled with this very decision just a couple of months back. Finally ended up with a T2i. It's a bit lighter and I find it seems to "fit" in my hand better. It also seems to be about the same for low light image quality, which was important to me. One concern I had was ease of use, since I kept hearing that the Canon menu isn't as straightforward as the Nikon, but I can't imagine how the T2i could be easier to use. With all that said, though, I think both are great cameras for the money.

If I were planning to shoot mostly in auto and just looking for a camera to take great pics I would have seriously considered one of the micro 4/3rds system cameras from Panasonic or Olympus.

He must be talking about using Canon lens in Nikon's DSLR. Personally, I preferred the T2i and that is why I bought it instead of the D90. Been working well for me so far!

Keep in mind that buying an SLR/dSLR is more of a system then just a camera. The lenses/accessories from one aren't made to work with the other without adapters and stuff...

Huh? Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying but... what are you talking about? I could take a lens that I used on my T2i and throw it on an XSi, or a 50D...... No, you can't mix Nikkon and Canon... but you can most definitely use the lenses on more than one camera. :scratch:

I think he's saying you can't just take a
Nikon lens, and put it on a Canon, and vice versa.

Huh? Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying but... what are you talking about? I could take a lens that I used on my T2i and throw it on an XSi, or a 50D...... No, you can't mix Nikkon and Canon... but you can most definitely use the lenses on more than one camera. :scratch:

You actually can mix nikon and cameras. Depending on the lens the nikkor lens will work on a canon, or vise versa, I forget.

well after reading that whole article, I'm thinking that these cameras might be just beyond my use. What other options are out there for entry level SLR/DSLR cameras that you all have used?

I think he's saying you can't just take a
Nikon lens, and put it on a Canon, and vice versa.

Got it

Here the whole time I was debating between
Nikon and Canon, bacause everyone told me
that the lenses would not interchange.

Now I find this!

Using Nikon lenses on Canon cameras © 2005 KenRockwell.com

I use 2 old manual aperture Nikkor/Nikon lenses on my T2i via a photodiox $20 adapter. Manually focusing is difficult on a Rebel viewfinder since there is no split prism, but with practice you can get some keepers.

I have both a 200mm f/4 and 135mm f/2.8 Nikkor/Nikon lenses that I love to play with.

I wouldn't make my decision based on that OP.

For me, the nicest thing about the D90 is the creative lighting system. You can fire multiple SB-600 flashes with the infrared system built into the camera. Canon T2i can't do that.. not without a $200 add-on.

The video is really nice on the T2i - but unless you're really interested in that I'd get the Nikon. This is a long-standing debate though and it's been shot to death already..

thanks again for all the input, it just seems to me, being a total rookie when it comes to SLR's, I think I might focus my attention on something entry level like the Nikon D40 or similar.

Then if I get hooked and want more, I'll step up to the D90 or similar. thanks a million for all the comments!

thanks again for all the input, it just seems to me, being a total rookie when it comes to SLR's, I think I might focus my attention on something entry level like the Nikon D40 or similar.

Then if I get hooked and want more, I'll step up to the D90 or similar. thanks a million for all the comments!

You can use the money and get some better
glass if you go that route. I have a D40, and love
it. It's very easy to use, and it takes great pictures.
I've blown up pics that are something like 24X35 on
my TV, and it looks crystal clear. From what I've read,
don't get the 40X, stick with a regular D40. :thumbup:

Just remember, you'll need to get the AF-S lenses
for the D40 to autofocus. The AF-S lenses have the
built in autofocus motors.

Good luck!

I use 2 old manual aperture Nikkor/Nikon lenses on my T2i via a photodiox $20 adapter. Manually focusing is difficult on a Rebel viewfinder since there is no split prism, but with practice you can get some keepers.

I have both a 200mm f/4 and 135mm f/2.8 Nikkor/Nikon lenses that I love to play with.
:thumbup:
I just picked up 2 old beatup Nikkor primes as well dirt cheap...
50mm 1.4 and 28mm 2.0
I use them on my T2i with an adapter. The manual focus is tough in the viewfinder, so I just use live view. The lenses are amazing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back