Nikon FA metering issues

How's your lab? I'd try a slower(ISO100-200) film outdoors. Just possible the FA's metering system is defective. It happens all too often now with old "working" SLRs with surprise "issues" from sellers who don't know or care.
My lab is pretty trustworthy. Forgive my ignorance but isn’t a slower ISO going to make the issue worse if anything?

Yes it is tough buying second hand gear, particularly when you’re still reasonably new to it

I’m not sure how to run that test. Thanks for the advice so far

With both empty cameras side by side, backs open, manual mode, trip each shutter in turn at various speeds. By carefully observing and listening, you'll soon be able to detect any differences in shutter speeds between the two cameras at the same setting. I hope I've explained clearly, let me know if not.

My lab is pretty trustworthy. Forgive my ignorance but isn’t a slower ISO going to make the issue worse if anything?

Yes it is tough buying second hand gear, particularly when you’re still reasonably new to it

Are you making sure the ISO dial is set to the film speed?

With both empty cameras side by side, backs open, manual mode, trip each shutter in turn at various speeds. By carefully observing and listening, you'll soon be able to detect any differences in shutter speeds between the two cameras at the same setting. I hope I've explained clearly, let me know if not.
Ok definitely found a problem here. I couldn’t test with the back open as the FA reverts to 1/250. But going off what I can hear and looking through the viewfinder with the back closed. When I set the FA on manual to 1 second, it will sometimes fire at that setting but sometimes fire much faster - sounds like around 1/250. This seems to happen on all shutter speed settings. I’m guessing this is an electronic issue and not that easy to fix from what I have read…

Ok definitely found a problem here. I couldn’t test with the back open as the FA reverts to 1/250. But going off what I can hear and looking through the viewfinder with the back closed. When I set the FA on manual to 1 second, it will sometimes fire at that setting but sometimes fire much faster - sounds like around 1/250. This seems to happen on all shutter speed settings. I’m guessing this is an electronic issue and not that easy to fix from what I have read…
I wasn't aware that you couldn't access all speeds with the back open, but it's good you were able to find the problem. And I'm sure you are right - repair would be impractical. Hopefully you have a return policy, or didn't pay much. There's always a risk involved with these older electronic models. Unless they've really been abused, all-manual Nikons are generally reliable. Personally, I avoid "consumer" models.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back