Nikon firmware update question

Warhorse

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just updated the firmware on my D5600, both the camera update, and the lens.

All seems okay, however I loaded the camera update first. It took me quite a bit of time to figure out how to deal with the extraction file to turn it into a bin file. Once I was able to accomplish that I immediately downloaded and installed the lens update...whoops! I forgot to remove the lens before doing the lens update, my question is... did I damage my camera or lens?

Everything seems okay, but short of shooting a lot of pics, is there anything I should look for?

I was not aware that you can update the lens firmware through the camera. I've always done my camera firmware updates with the lens connected.

Yes, the instruction says you can leave the lens on to update the camera, but when you update the lens, that you should remove the lens prior to installing the lens update in the camera.

I'm guessing you can always re-flash the camera, to before the lens update.

Snowbear, how do I "re-flash" the camera, and do you think it should be done?

My guess is that if everything works, everything works. Just check that you actually updated the camera by going to the "setup menu" and then "firmware version".

Last edited:
I reinstalled the lens update with the lens off this time, hopefully this will take care of any potential problem caused by not removing the lens during the first update

Most reactions

Back