Nikon Flash??

triggerhappy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I really want to get a flash for my D70 but I'm deeply confused about what I need. I want to do a few portrait shots but will mainly use it to take pictures of friends and family. Does anyone have any pointers?

order the SB-800 and don't look back. You'll love it.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but your choices of full featured speedlights are pretty limit with the D70.
Only an SB-600 or 800 will give you TTL with that camera.

Picked up my 800 a few months ago and can't say enough good things about it. I too was in the same spot but someone suggested I go for it.

Hope this helps :D

I also went with the 800 (especially since it has the $50 rebate now), I think Patrick actually recommended it to me. I'm still learning about it but its a great flash and worth the money.

mattvillano said:
I also went with the 800 (especially since it has the $50 rebate now), I think Patrick actually recommended it to me. I'm still learning about it but its a great flash and worth the money.

It's got a heck of a learning curve to it.

Seems I learn something everytime I use it.

Latest thing is to make sure the "fill" is off when you go inside.. :roll:

Next question (sorry but I'm really naive when it comes to flashes). Do I need to get some sort of diffuser, or should I start with it 'as is'?

Thanks for your input!

No need to get a diffuser, the SB-800 comes with it.
It also comes with some gel filters to play around with, case and a base to use in wireless mode.

The only thing it doesn't come with is an off camera cord, but it's really not need if you use the wireless feature.

For Portraits I would strongly suggest "bouncing" the flash off the ceiling or wall.

For most of us photography isn't what we do for a living so treat it as a toy and play with it. Try anything that comes to mind. Believe me I've got alot of pics of my foot and my son's toys. :roll:
Experiment! and have fun.

Patrick, you are a very bad man! I got carried away and bought the 800. An early christmas present to myself. :D

.... Just one small problem. Now I don't have any money for the GF's christmas present! :twisted: :twisted:

triggerhappy said:
Patrick, you are a very bad man! I got carried away and bought the 800. An early christmas present to myself. :D

.... Just one small problem. Now I don't have any money for the GF's christmas present! :twisted: :twisted:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
oh ho :wink:

Maybe we need to take donations for the GF X-mas gifts

triggerhappy said:

i put myself in the same situation ......but then we both decided to keep the christmas gifts small this year. Just try and push her in that direction.

Well the flash is here. Its out of the box. I've read the manual.... and I still can't work this thing out! It's a sad day when a simple flash make you feel really stupid. :lol: :lol:

I was in the same boat awhile ago... started off buying an SB-600, but ended up with the SB-800. I use the 800 with the diffuser dome and the tungsten filter when indoors in regular tungsten lighting. I will always try to bounce the light off the ceiling or wall. When you use this combination, it's very important that your flash has sufficient power (main reason for buying the 800 instead of the 600) because bouncing will lose you a few stops, and using diffusers and filters will lose you some more stops!

I'd suggest that you simply enjoy learning about the new flash you bought... I spent countless hours learning and fiddling with the settings. Honestly, I think it was more fun than anything.

Congrats on your flash! It's definitely all that it was hyped up to be.

Most reactions

Back