Nikon Flashes and Lenses

dirty1thirdee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm going to have some extra cash soon, and I need some stuff for my D70s. First, I want to get a 50mm 1.8 and and sb600, or get just an sb800 (flashes for off camera flash). Right now I am leaning towards the first option, just because I only have an 18-70 now and I would be picking up some speed with that purchase. Or instead of everything, I might get a 10.5mm fisheye, because I do a lot of BMX photography and I love the fisheye effect. Which would you do? Please post pictures you've taken with both lenses.

Thanks a bunch, any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Out of those options, I'm thinking the 50mm and the SB600, because you're getting a lot of extra functionality for the money - all the benefits of a prime (especially the speed) as well as all the advantages of off-camera flash. In fact unless you know where to get the 10.5mm lens particularly cheap, it looks like you could get the 50mm and the SB800 together for less than the 10.5mm alone. Obviously if you can see yourself doing a lot of fisheye stuff then that could be the way to go, but I'd imagine a good 50mm lens and a flash would be very useful indeed for general photography, and good value for money.

Thanks, that's what I'm thinking. The 10.5 is a great lens, but I definately would have a better setup with the 50 and sb600 for less money. The 10.5 is going for $579 on B&H.

I've heard mixed things about the 50 1.8 vs. the 50 1.4. (Nikon) What have your experiences been? I've heard the 1.8 is soft from some and tack sharp from others, and the 50 1.4 is not worth the extra $150 from some and worth every penny from others. The little bit of extra speed picked up is a small +, but I'm really concerned with sharpness and optical performance.

dirty1thirdee said:
I've heard mixed things about the 50 1.8 vs. the 50 1.4. (Nikon) What have your experiences been? I've heard the 1.8 is soft from some and tack sharp from others, and the 50 1.4 is not worth the extra $150 from some and worth every penny from others. The little bit of extra speed picked up is a small +, but I'm really concerned with sharpness and optical performance.
The 1.8 is a very sharp lenses and a great value for the money, the 1.4 is a bit better in contrast, color and sharpness, whether or not that's worth the extra $150 is up to you. I saw this link posted on another forum in a thread discussing is very comparison...
http://www.bytephoto.com/photopost/data/500/711650_Comparison.jpg
I have the 1.8 and I don't find it soft at all.

Thanks for that link. Too me it looks like the 1.4 is better than the 1.8 from 1.4-2.8, then they are the same. I know I will be using this lense wide open a lot, so I'm leaning towards the 1.4 at this point. Either way, both of these will be better than the 18-70 I have now.

Most reactions

Back