Nikon lens for weddings/portraits... Advice

I think you really,really need an 85mm f/1.8 prime. It's a basic building block, and ought to be the first prime lens you buy for portraits and wedding work. The 135mm D.C. Nikkor is great on FX, but is kind of long on APS-C bodies, forcing you to work from fairly long distances.

I'll 2nd this, an 85mm f1.8 prime is the ideal portrait lens on a crop sensor camera.

A 70-200mm f2.8 would be the next, and far more expensive, lens to buy.

I think you really,really need an 85mm f/1.8 prime. It's a basic building block, and ought to be the first prime lens you buy for portraits and wedding work. The 135mm D.C. Nikkor is great on FX, but is kind of long on APS-C bodies, forcing you to work from fairly long distances.

I'll 2nd this, an 85mm f1.8 prime is the ideal portrait lens on a crop sensor camera.

A 70-200mm f2.8 would be the next, and far more expensive, lens to buy.

But what about wider lenses? What would you say?
I've read that the 17-55 2.8 would be a good route to take that would cover all those basis.

17-55 on 1.5 Crop = 25.5-82.5 on Fx.
Back in the good ol' film days we've used 150mm for anything to 1/2 length to close ups, and 1-3 ppl portraits.
100mm: full length 1-2 ppl and 3-5ppl portrait.
80mm: 5-7 (8) ppls
65mm
50mm
40mm
you get the idea (I miss that square body). Anyways 80mm lens or anywhere close to 80mm is your EYE = a normal lens. 50mm on Dx = 82.5 on Fx is NORMAL. The problem is and you'll see that if your put your fingers as such
figure4.gif
BUT do index finger-to-thumb for more/less 2x3 frame view... problem is that if you want to take a 1/2 length to a closeup w/ a NORMAL lens and you have to stand pretty darn close thus a possibility of distortion. Yes you can correct it later but you have to consider that. Alternatively you can stand further back, take a shot and then crop it down but AGAIN you have to consider the time you'll put into processing...
17-55 is a good lens overall (have it and use it on many jobs) but in my opinion it isn't a portrait lens.
If you're looking for a all around lens consider Nikon 24-85 2.8-4 lens. I've used it on few occasions and results were lovely. Number of photogs I work with use it almost exclusively and totally in love with it. Another one of my favorites is 28-105 3.5-4.5 lens - I used it 95% of the time for portraits (on crop digital) and used to use it on 35mm when doing home/family (non work) portraits. Work was always med format.

But do keep in mind the distortion factor as well as your PP skills and time.

Good Luck

Most reactions

Back