Nikon lens not working on both my camera bodies

osumisan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
motionshooter.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently purchased a new Nikon D750 and all worked great when first purchased. Now about 3 months later, one of my lenses (nikon 24-70mm f/2.8) will not autofocus in my new camera. When I take this same lens and put on my older Nikon D700, the autofocus works fine. But what makes this problem even more puzzling, is that my other two lenses (nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VRI and Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6) work fine on my new Nikon D750. I am confused as what my actual problem is. Is my 24-70mm lens problematic or is it possible the camera mount on my Nikon D750 camera body that has damage that prevents it from working with the lens.

Has anyone had this type of issue before? I plan on taking both lens and camera to my local Nikon dealer to have him assess the issue but curious if anyone else has had this experience?

Jon

Has the lens ever worked on the new camera? I don't use Nikon so I cannot be specific, but Nikon cameras use two different autofocus systems. If the lens in question uses the other autofocus system to the new body, it will not work.

There's no design reason why the 24-70 won't work. I am guessing likely minor damage/wear to one of the electronic contacts is causing the issue. I have a similar situation where my 70-200 occasionally won't stop down on my D800 body, this is because some time ago, when removing my 300 2.8, things went slightly awry and the aperture control arm in the mirror box got a tiny bit bent. No other lens is affected, but the tab on the 70-200 is literally a couple of thousandths of an inch shorter than on other lenses and that's just enough that every now and then it won't work.

Try cleaning all the contacts, both on the lens and the camera body (99% iso alcohol on a lint-free swab) and see if that helps.

To the right of the lens mount (facing you) at the bottom is a focus selector lever. Is it set to manual?

To the right of the lens mount (facing you) at the bottom is a focus selector lever. Is it set to manual?
My thought,too. OP said it worked on the D700, though.

Has the lens ever worked on the new camera? I don't use Nikon so I cannot be specific, but Nikon cameras use two different autofocus systems. If the lens in question uses the other autofocus system to the new body, it will not work.

yes, the lens worked fine on the D750 for the first few months...this problem came up recently

Hey, thanks for the replies. Just to follow up, I took the 24-70 and the D750 to my local Nikon repair shop and had him take a look. He suggested that the autofocus motor on the 24-70 lens is going bad. He would turn the manual focus ring back and forth a few times and that seemed to unfreeze the autofocus. Frequently, if I turned the camera off and then back on, the autofocus freezes again on the 24-70 lens. What he says makes sense although I still think it's odd that the lens works on my D700.

I would do a two-button reset of the D750, clean the lens and camera body contacts, and then re-try the 24-70.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back