Nikon MB-D80 Battery grip..

Sinister_kid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was thinking about getting this for my D80 and just had a few questions about it.

First of all, does anybody here have it? And if so what's your "review" on it?

and then i've been reading on here that you can increase your FPS on some canons with battery grips, can you do this with a D80 and this battery grip?

Thanks!

I have one and it's nice to have... adds some weight but in some ways that's a good thing. You can always remove it if you want to travel light.

It does not add FPS for the D80/D90.

I have the grip and other than the added weight I really love it.

I have the MB-D80 grip on my D90's too.

Adding a grip only adds FPS to the D300 and maybe the D700. Of course the D3/D3s and D3X have built-in grips.

I really like the balance of the camera with the grip and both batteries in. The vertical format controls are another huge plus from my perspective.

There's a reason the pro level cameras have a grip built in; the improvement in camera handling, and the ease of use the vertical controls add.

Last edited:
Grips add better vertical framing functionality and some also find the added weight helps balance a heavier lens. Just don't tart saying you have a 'gripped d80', that is just silly, like saying you have a 'hooded 50 mm', it's just a camera accessory.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys! Looks like ill definitely be ordering on here shortly.

its a must have on the D90 if you want to shoot with heavier lenses. it balances out the body a lot better and the extra size allows you to hold the camera a lot better

I really like the MB-D80 on my D80. The only negative I've found about it is the shutter release button is much more sensitive than on the D80 itself. It took some getting used to. When I first starting using it, I accidentally triggered the shutter many times. :lol: Definitely go for it though. It makes the camera much easier to handle on verticals, plus like others have said, it helps balance the camera with heavier lenses. I also like that it adds some bulk that the otherwise dinky D80 is missing.

I used to have one. It was a good addition to an otherwise great camera. Helps give you more room to handle the camera as well.

and then i've been reading on here that you can increase your FPS on some canons with battery grips, can you do this with a D80 and this battery grip?

Thanks!

False! Canon gives you max FPS without needing a different battery or grip. That is a Nikon trait, but only certain bodies IIRC.

I love my MB-D80 on my D90. Makes portrait orientation much easier to shoot and I like the added weight and size it gives....makes it more comfortable to hold.

Only thing I don't like about it is that it is a hassle when I use the camera on a tripod. However, this is probably due to me needing a better tripod to support the extra weight of the camera with the grip.

Does anyone know exactly how much weight the MB-D80 adds with one battery? I never managed to use up an entire battery in one day, so I'm wondering if it's worth paying $180 for a grip that's only going to contribute to a more comfortable portrait orientation. Btw, I'd use it on a D90 with 24-70mm and an SB-900, so I'm not sure if that wouldn't be an overload for my neck...

Thanks,

Thanks!

False! Canon gives you max FPS without needing a different battery or grip. That is a Nikon trait, but only certain bodies IIRC.
So true!!!!!!!

There's no way in hell to get bonus FPS from a Canon. What you got, is all your every going to get. ;)

Does anyone know exactly how much weight the MB-D80 adds with one battery? I never managed to use up an entire battery in one day, so I'm wondering if it's worth paying $180 for a grip that's only going to contribute to a more comfortable portrait orientation. Btw, I'd use it on a D90 with 24-70mm and an SB-900, so I'm not sure if that wouldn't be an overload for my neck...

Thanks,
If your that concerned about weight and your neck, you shouldn't get the grip.

Thanks,

It's all plastic, it doesn't weigh much. A few ounces I'd guess. You aren't going to notice any difference with the rig you got, lol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back