Nikon or cannon? digital slr

Happy Hour

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
first of all hello 2 everyone! I'm new here, and this is my first thread.
Ok here we go! Lets here some [SIZE=-1]Opinions[/SIZE] on
which is ur favorite? I'm really confused by which new camera 2 buy. I'm interested in the nikon D40 or the cannon Rebel xti. I also like the D200! now budget not in mind which is a better buy?(I know the D200 is out of the other 2 league's) now I was going 2 purchase a D200 with a 18-200mm lens, but I was a little weary about it still. My friend just bought the rebel xti and I have 2 say i'm not impressed with the pics:thumbdown: i've seen from it so far! (this might be due to her not having the camera set up right) but I also have read that the D40 is a way better all around camera than the D200. Now you might ask what would i be using this camera for? well i'm looking for the most versatile camera. i take pics of everything!!! Weddings, the zoo, family,portraits,ect.ect.Now the main reason. I stopped from buying the d200 was the guy I was ordering the camera from told me the nikon 18-200mm lens was a cheap lens, and started naming brands i've never heard of b4. So the next question is whats the best lens brand you like? Of course nikon lovers "what's yours? and cannon lovers, yours? Sorry for such a long and complicated thread but I want to get this one right I have had pro cameras for years but 35mm and have Cannon,Nikon, & Minolta's but my digital sony takes better pics then all of them(in some applications) So this will be my first digital slr camera. I hope i covered everything. and thanks to everyone who replies!!!

They are the same this has been discussed five hundred times already and it always goes the same. The best way to figure out wich one is best for you is to go to some camera store hold the different models and figure out what one fits you best. and by the way there is no need to shout!!!.

Nikon Blatantly. I bet your right with the D40-D200 thing, my girlfriend has one, it has nothing on my D50 apart from image size.(Who am I kidding? I bet there's a lot more going for it)

The D200 is way more versatile than the D40. The D40 may have the lead in terms of "dummy tricks" and easy menus but the D200 is still way more versatile. That body works very well, the major functions are accessed by one on-body button instead of multi touch buttons or buried in a menu. There are plenty of 3rd party lenses, some are very good and some are not so good, the same can be said of big name lenses. However you can not categorically say that the 3rd party lenses are better than the camera manufacturer brands.

You say you have pro film cameras already, look at the features you like on those to help you make a decision as to which dSLR features you'd like to have. Also, look to your lens collection, if there are some you particularly like, then this might skew your decision towards a body on which those lenses will fit.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy the one you end up buying.

this is a very random thread?? Well first off Canon/ Nikon is like Ford or Dodge, there is no "Better" brand as far as the picture quallity and performence. It all boils down to what you like as far as handleing, what your friends have, what lens you aready have and so forth.
As far as the D40 or D200, well if you can afford the D200 then by all means get it as it is a superior camera. The D40 is really a for those that don't intend to really get into photography as it is lacking the AF motor which limits you. The D200 is more a pro camera and ment to be used. As for the Nikon 18-200 VR it is not a "Cheap" lens as it runs for $750. It is a good all in 1 lens, it is not pro glass but is a very good consumer glass and many people love it. Nikon glass Exceptional, I don't know what the store was saying. There are others like Sigma that make great lens as well.

I like Nikon, but the next person will probably like Canon.

Does that help?

Have you had a introduction course for etiquette of electronic communication to this point?

They are the same this has been discussed five hundred times already and it always goes the same. The best way to figure out wich one is best for you is to go to some camera store hold the different models and figure out what one fits you best. and by the way there is no need to shout!!!.

Agreed. There is a search button at the top right of your screen.

For those of you yelling at me. I understand this has been done 2 death! but I wanted a opinoin on what I need. I did'nt want 2 start 10 diff threads with 10 diff questions. So I thought it would be easiest if I explain what i was having trouble with in choosing. Sorry for waisting your time.

no one is yelling at you, simply explaining this question has been asked countless times and it cant be answered. canon lovers will say canon, nikon lovers will say nikon. end of story. go to the store and pick up eachone see which YOU like better.

Of course for some it is none of the above. Leica, Pentax, Olympus, Sony Alpha, Sigma etc.

skieur

I would like to say thank you to everyone who has replied 2 this thread!:hail:I have decided on getting the Nikon D80 with a 18-200mm af lens.:thumbup: Now another question I need help with. I found the Body for $299/ the lens(nikon) for $549/ the battery for 149.99 & long life for 199.95/ and a 2 gig memory card high speed for 299.99/ Anyone know if there's better prices out there? I know the body is a good buy but 300 for a memory card sounds outright silly!! The battery sounds high 2. If anyone knows a place to buy them cheaper i'd appreciate it.
Thank you again .:hail:

My Cannon goes booom ...

sory ;)

What no love for the Olympus? Don't know if you looked at the E-3 or the E-510 but I love my E-510 far better then my brother-in-laws Nikon.

it's not that I have no love4 Olympus, it's just my personal exp. with camera. 2 b honest I love love love Minolta! out of 6 35mm my minolta Killed my 2nikon's,canon,Olympus,and sony. But from what ive been reading and what ive seen from the slr's the nikon seems 2 fit me the best.

What no love for the Olympus? Don't know if you looked at the E-3 or the E-510 but I love my E-510 far better then my brother-in-laws Nikon.

Most reactions

Back