Nikon Pro Cameras

acparsons

Photo Hunter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Thinking about getting a used Nikon D2X or D3. Primarily to just check out the differences between a pro and a prosumer camera. Is focus faster and does the eyepiece have a wider view, than say a D610? However, ya'll could help me out if you have experienced using both and can offer your opinion.

I bought a new D2x on May 3, 2005, and used it a lot, and still have it. It has a very sophisticated AF system, with MORE user-selectable focus modes than any of the later models, pro or amateur, and it uses a group AF system that allows you to select a small group of AF squares, and it tracks action very well. Thom Hogan referred to the D2x as the "focus anywhere" camera, even after the D3 models had been invented. Although it uses only 11 AF areas, when using a group of focus squares, this camera allows you to use the 4-way controller, and to track focus on sports action to an incredible degree. It can track a pole vaulter running toward you, at the bottom of the frame; one touch to the 4-way controller, at the plant of the pole, and you can instantly shift focus on the middle of the frame; as the vaulter is flung skyward, press the 4-way controller again, and it will NAIL focus on the vaulter at the top of the frame. The D2x AF system has four user-selectable AF modes, and a powerful AF module, despite the AF module's low specification, it's a crop-sensor AF module, and the camera can shoot with up to 9 AF areas in a special, high speed crop mode with a 2.0 FOV factor. This camera focuses where you want it, easily,and instantly; unlike the D610, which I own, with 39 AF areas, the AF module in the D610 was designed for a crop-body, and put into an FX sensor,and it's not a good fit (both literally and figuratively).

The D2x is a SUPERB 12 megapixel imager at ISO 100 to 160, but above that, the image quality drops off pretty rapidly in poor light, but it "okay" in good light without a lot of deep shadows. The battery life is _astoundingly good_, 4,000 frames or so on a charge. Seriously. Astounding battery efficiency.

The viewfinder is crisp and bright and better than the D610. Better. The D2x was a $5,000 camera; there were zero shortcuts taken in any of its subsystems. It responds instantly.

I bought a used D3x in 2012 and shot it until 2017. The Nikon D3x was a $7,995 camera when new, and was widely ridiculed. I got a great deal on it. For the current used price of $1175 or so, the D3x is tempting. it has the same 51-point AF system of the D800, and while it is good, it does not have the same staggering tracking ability of the D2x, which was a crop-sensor with wider coverage, and a more-sophisticated USER-selectable AF mode control switch. The D2x took learning and understanding to leverage the AF capabilities; the D3 series "dumbed down" the AF modes.I now have a D800...I prefer everything about the D3x to the D800, except the 24 vs 36MP resolution, and the big size of the D3x. I love voice annotation! The D3x has voice memo capability...soooo useful!

The D3x is "close" in image quality and dynamic range to the other,newer, 24MP FX Nikons at the lower ISO range. Image quality is good, dynamic range is pretty good; far wider DR than the Canon 5D I had. This camera marked the start of the 24-MP FX Nikons, and while the sensor performance is not as good at higher ISO levels as the D610, the camera, the machine, the whole shooting experience: the D3x is the finest Nikon I have ever shot. The best control, the best viewfinder, the best battery, the voice annotation (D2x has voice notes too), plus it has Live View. The D3x is okay to good at up to ISO 1,250 or 1,600.

Put it this way: the D2x and D3x are the finest shooters of their era. I owned D1,D1h as well, nowhere near as good. I bought a D610 last spring, and have been utterly underwhelmed by the AF system. IMO, the D610 is a Mom Camera, or a Dad Camera; it performs poorly with slow-aperture consumer zooms of f/4.5~5.6 apertures; the D2x OTOH drives even crappy, slow, old, AF-D and junker lenses to a focus with a satisfying degree of authority, even in crap light. But the D2x's sensor is not good in poor light.

For $400, a D2x is a nice camera in good light, or with studio flash. For $1100-$1300, the D3x is like a used Rolls Royce; old maybe, but solid, and built to a high standard. The D610 I have, with grip....ehhhh...too much hesitation, too many focus FAIL-boats when you really just want it to focus, and too many menus, not enough external controls. Better viewfinder in both D2x and D3x than D610.

Last edited:
I bought a new D2x on May 3, 2005, and used it a lot, and still have it. It has a very sophisticated AF system, with MORE user-selectable focus modes than any of the later models, pro or amateur, and it uses a group AF system that allows you to select a small group of AF squares, and it tracks action very well. Thom Hogan referred to the D2x as the "focus anywhere" camera, even after the D3 models had been invented. Although it uses only 11 AF areas, when using a group of focus squares, this camera allows you to use the 4-way controller, and to track focus on sports action to an incredible degree. It can track a pole vaulter running toward you, at the bottom of the frame; one touch to the 4-way controller, at the plant of the pole, and you can instantly shift focus on the middle of the frame; as the vaulter is flung skyward, press the 4-way controller again, and it will NAIL focus on the vaulter at the top of the frame. The D2x AF system has four user-selectable AF modes, and a powerful AF module, despite the AF module's low specification, it's a crop-sensor AF module, and the camera can shoot with up to 9 AF areas in a special, high speed crop mode with a 2.0 FOV factor. This camera focuses where you want it, easily,and instantly; unlike the D610, which I own, with 39 AF areas, the AF module in the D610 was designed for a crop-body, and put into an FX sensor,and it's not a good fit (both literally and figuratively).

The D2x is a SUPERB 12 megapixel imager at ISO 100 to 160, but above that, the image quality drops off pretty rapidly in poor light, but it "okay" in good light without a lot of deep shadows. The battery life is _astoundingly good_, 4,000 frames or so on a charge. Seriously. Astounding battery efficiency.

The viewfinder is crisp and bright and better than the D610. Better. The D2x was a $5,000 camera; there were zero shortcuts taken in any of its subsystems. It responds instantly.

I bought a used D3x in 2012 and shot it until 2017. The Nikon D3x was a $7,995 camera when new, and was widely ridiculed. I got a great deal on it. For the current used price of $1175 or so, the D3x is tempting. it has the same 51-point AF system of the D800, and while it is good, it does not have the same staggering tracking ability of the D2x, which was a crop-sensor with wider coverage, and a more-sophisticated USER-selectable AF mode control switch. The D2x took learning and understanding to leverage the AF capabilities; the D3 series "dumbed down" the AF modes.I now have a D800...I prefer everything about the D3x to the D800, except the 24 vs 36MP resolution, and the big size of the D3x. I love voice annotation! The D3x has voice memo capability...soooo useful!

The D3x is "close" in image quality and dynamic range to the other,newer, 24MP FX Nikons at the lower ISO range. Image quality is good, dynamic range is pretty good; far wider DR than the Canon 5D I had. This camera marked the start of the 24-MP FX Nikons, and while the sensor performance is not as good at higher ISO levels as the D610, the camera, the machine, the whole shooting experience: the D3x is the finest Nikon I have ever shot. The best control, the best viewfinder, the best battery, the voice annotation (D2x has voice notes too), plus it has Live View. The D3x is okay to good at up to ISO 1,250 or 1,600.

Put it this way: the D2x and D3x are the finest shooters of their era. I owned D1,D1h as well, nowhere near as good. I bought a D610 last spring, and have been utterly underwhelmed by the AF system. IMO, the D610 is a Mom Camera, or a Dad Camera; it performs poorly with slow-aperture consumer zooms of f/4.5~5.6 apertures; the D2x OTOH drives even crappy, slow, old, AF-D and junker lenses to a focus with a satisfying degree of authority, even in crap light. But the D2x's sensor is not good in poor light.

For $400, a D2x is a nice camera in good light, or with studio flash. For $1100-$1300, the D3x is like a used Rolls Royce; old maybe, but solid, and built to a high standard. The D610 I have, with grip....ehhhh...too much hesitation, too many focus FAIL-boats when you really just want it to focus, and too many menus, not enough external controls. Better viewfinder in both D2x and D3x than D610.
And once again, Derrel shows why he is Derrel and is invaluable to this site.

Truer words have never been spoken. Great post Derrel, much better that Ken Rockwell, worthy of at least a thousand likes.

And once again, Derrel shows why he is Derrel and is invaluable to this site.

Truer words have never been spoken. Great post Derrel, much better that Ken Rockwell, worthy of at least a thousand likes.

So true, he is the man. Helped me a ton to understand strobe photography. He was very encouraging for me, and I continue on. He is a great American.

Oh, good for you!!! You will most likely fall in love with the instant responsiveness, the killer viewfinder image, and the superb control options the D3 offers. Although the professional-grade Nikon bodies have always been large and heavy, they do balance well with larger lenses, like the 70-200 f/2.8 models, or the 300mm f/4 AF-S, and other hefty lenses, like the wide-to-short tele zooms, the f/2.8 models like the 28-70 AF-S and the 24-70 AF-S.

A good-shooting camera/lens combo is not just weight, per se, but is instead the overall balance of the camera and lens combination. The 28-70 AF-S, and other 40-ounce, coffee-can-lenses are a bugger on small, light bodies, with constant nose-diving of the lens torquing your wrist; on a D2- or D3-series body, the heftier body and the big grip helps balance out the lens's rotational torque, and even though a D3 and a 24-70 combo weighs more than the same lens on say, a D90, the pro camera will be EASIER to hold and shoot for several hours, whereas the little, light camera will begin to feel un-balanced and heavy within a short time. Again--congratulations! I hope you enjoy the new camera immensely.

Personally I would recomment against getting a D2x not only for the reasons given by Derrel, but also because from reports on the net Nikon never really managed to make a reliable digital camera before the D3.

So, if you want a reliable, "unkillable" workhorse, the D3 it is. Also, full frame, of course.

For my own needs, wanting a backup system next to my D750, a D700 was more appropiate, though. Especially since I managed to find a used one that still had a KatzEye, which sadly isnt available new anymore. I also have the battery grip so balancing heavier glas would be an option if needed.

I dont see much of a difference between my "professional" D700 and my "semi-professional" D750 in respect to the interface. The gain of a 100% magnification button on the D750 is a very substantial practical advantage over the predecessor D600, an advantage that I use all the time, but other than that the interface is just different, not necessarily better. For example the mode dial on the D750 is much easier and more intuitive to use for me than the mode button on the D700. And I certainly love the flipscreen on the D750 albeit I wished it was one like a D5x00 has.

About balance: lenses like my AF 180mm f2.8 might be front heavy, but thats also exactly why its easier to hold them still.

I'd still really like a D4s.

it's not even BF yet, and I've already bought too much on BF sales...

Unfortunately, my D3 took a turn for the worst. Took it back to the shop after a malfunction, they sent it to the service center. After a week, they still need to run more tests. Should I just ask for a refund?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back