Nikon SB-400: Best flash for around $100?

If you just want something for a little fill on portraits from time to time the SB-400 will be just ok I think, the main feature over the on-camera flash is you can bounce it, but not tilt it.. which is limiting. [if you're shooting portraits in vertical position, as you'd likely do, you could bounce the flash off a reflector i suppose... i believe the SB-400 is iTTL so it should set itself up pretty nicely most of the time]

I would say the SB-400 is probably most use indoors where you can bounce the light off a white ceiling.

If you do a lot of portraits i'd highly recommend investing a little extra and buying an SB-600. More power, faster recycle times, much much more functionality, bounce & tilt, zoom.. Get it off camera, on a stand, with a simple light modifier and you'll be over the moon with the results over what you would be getting with a SB-400 or the likes.

Don't be afraid to spend a little extra on flash.. they really are worth spending money on. It will change the way you shoot, a lot, and generally it's for the better, too.

If you don't want to cough up the dosh for a SB-600, then you're probably just as well off with a Vivatar or Sunpack that tilts and rotates, rather than the SB-400.

I have a 600 and an 800 and when I get a third it will be another 800. I'd much rather have the extra power and not need it, than to need it and not have it. But that's just me. You mileage may vary.

Where can you get an SB800 for $200?
A new one? Only place I know would be stolen ones... lol If I could get SB-800s new for 200, even 250, I would purchase 4 of them right now. They are $320 bucks and up everywhere.

Care to educate me, if its not too much trouble?

I'd love to, but sincerely, for me t do that, I would have to write a book and that info is already available in other books, on the net, and some on this site all by far better photographers than I am.

Basically, in the most simple (and likely incomplete answer), small light = small area you can effectively light in close quarters. More light = bigger more even and better controlled light. In other even simpler words... the inverse square law of lighting.

Last edited:
Will both the SB-400 and the SB-80EX work with i-TTL?

Will both the SB-400 and the SB-80EX work with i-TTL?

SB-80DX (no EX around as far as I know), is not iTTL compatible and has been out of production for many years.

The SB-400 is iTTL compatible but...
- its weak... the weakest flash Nikon makes, not much more powerful than the on camera flash.
- It doesn't rotate, therefore, when on camera, cannot even be used to bounce light.

- It doesn't have a sync connector nor a slave mode.

The 80DX is the better choice... *IF* you can find one in good condition. These things are workhorses, and are treated as such (which means they are treated BRUTALLY in general).

SB-80DX (no EX around as far as I know), is not iTTL compatible and has been out of production for many years.

The SB-400 is iTTL compatible but...
- its weak... the weakest flash Nikon makes, not much more powerful than the on camera flash.
- It doesn't rotate, therefore, when on camera, cannot even be used to bounce light.

- It doesn't have a sync connector nor a slave mode.

The 80DX is the better choice... *IF* you can find one in good condition. These things are workhorses, and are treated as such (which means they are treated BRUTALLY in general).

But, with my very limited understanding of flashes, it does not sync with i-TTL, which means its not going to be great in auto mode which means its not the best flash for portraits. Does that mean I'm going to have to use it in (from what I've heard) frustrating manual mode?

I suggest getting an older flash used (SB-80DX, SB-28 or 26) for around $100 and learning to use it in manual mode rather than getting an SB-400.

You will have a better flash aside from not being able to use iTTL but by forcing yourself to learn how to use it in manual mode it will open up more creative ways to use the flash for you.

I think that's one of the cases I would rather pay the extra money for the SB-600 than use it in manual mode.

But, with my very limited understanding of flashes, it does not sync with i-TTL, which means its not going to be great in auto mode which means its not the best flash for portraits. Does that mean I'm going to have to use it in (from what I've heard) frustrating manual mode?

"Auto mode being better... frustrating manual mode"... only to someone very new and inexperienced in photography and who doesn't understand the basics... perhaps. The best portrait shots are done with the flash OFF camera. The second best way is to bounce the on camera flash off of anything reflective. The last and least effective way to light anything is to use on-axis lighting. Given the choice, on camera flash is the worst kind of way to light anything. It makes for consistently flat, boring images.

Off camera flash takes a little finesse to learn, a little dedication to lighting and understanding photography but the results are well worth it.

Even if all you want is on camera flash, If all you are interested in is making a few flatly lit snapshots of someone 10 feet or closer, get the SB-400. If you want a flash that is iTTL compatible but cannot swivel or twist in any way, therefore cannot bounce light upwards or to the side, get the Sb-400.

Bouncing the flash off anything reflective is a well known easy way to get superior results easily... off camera or on. The SB-400 cannot even do that.

IMHO, the SB-400 has one and only one purpose... to replace a busted built-in camera flash, and its a poor replacement at that, hardly worth the money.

We often "preach" here that rather than waste your money on something that will not help your photography, wait a little longer, save a little more and get something that will add to your photography in a meaningful manner. This is what I am saying now.

The SB-400 is not a very good flash, however, if you care about your photography in any way, the SB-600 is the least expensive option that *will* add to your photography and has the ability to accommodate your current needs and grow with your future needs.

There is no way an on camera flash could give you any of these:

2996910147_b0d124842a.jpg

3019333905_b5633096e4.jpg

2997060301_c860a86655.jpg

If you enjoy portraiture, give yourself the best tools you can afford that will give you the best value for your buck.

After learning about the downfalls of the SB-400 and the SB-80DX, I think I may actually save up for an SB-600. One question though, is manual flash treated like manual exposure on camera? Once you get more familiar, do you always use manual flash (as most more experienced photographers and myself do) or do you stick with auto (like autofocus)? If manual flash will give you the same or usually better results than auto, and its fairly easy to learn, then I may go for the 80DX. However if auto flash is like AF, something very accurate that everyone uses, then I will most likely bite the bullet, save up some, and go for the SB-600.

The problem is, I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to flashes, and therefore I don't know what to buy. Thanks for your insight.

Depends on the situation. There is no one fixed answer that will serve every condition.

There are times that I use on camera flash... sometimes, even straight on. 75% of the time I use off camera strobe or strobes, and the settings change not only from setup to setup, but from picture to picture. Different settings give you different results. It comes down to conditions and what you as a photographer want as creative results.

www.strobist.com is a great place to start reading. Start with lighting 101 and 102.

Even if all you want is on camera flash, If all you are interested in is making a few flatly lit snapshots of someone 10 feet or closer, get the SB-400. If you want a flash that is iTTL compatible but cannot swivel or twist in any way, therefore cannot bounce light upwards or to the side, get the Sb-400.

Bouncing the flash off anything reflective is a well known easy way to get superior results easily... off camera or on. The SB-400 cannot even do that.

IMHO, the SB-400 has one and only one purpose... to replace a busted built-in camera flash, and its a poor replacement at that, hardly worth the money.

eh?

do your homework..... the SB400 bounces....

eh?

do your homework..... the SB400 bounces....

I did. No sideways tilt. PORTRAITS are taken 99% of the time with the camera tilted 90 degrees (hence why this is called portrait orientation). How can you tilt the flash up to the ceiling then?

You cannot. ;)

Most reactions

Back