Nikon SB-400: Best flash for around $100?

I did a google shop search and Amazon had a deal to get it from B&H for 300 then I went to B&H and found it as a import for like 280.

SB-600s?? They go for like $172! I think you were looking at the SB-800. :)

I would save for the SB600 over the 400. When I bought my 600 I tired the 400 at the shop and, it was weak against the 600. Im in the school of if the prices are close enough then I get the better of the two.

I use the SB-800 for shooting bar events and fashion shows it has the aux power input, remote triggering. you can pick it up for about 200, but if your just going to shoot a few portraits then a 400 or 600 would be sufficient

Where can you get an SB800 for $200?

I did a google shop search and Amazon had a deal to get it from B&H for 300 then I went to B&H and found it as a import for like 280.

SB-600s?? They go for like $172! I think you were looking at the SB-800. :)

Make sense now, Jerry? :p

It did not make sense, because at BHPhoto, the 800s were never under 320, even the import ones (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/300467-GREY/Nikon_4801_SB_800_Speedlight.html), which have not been in stock for a while now... I know, as I have been watching them closely.

The reason I know, is that I've been shopping around a LOT the last 2 months and recently sent an email to BH and gave them a chance to give me a deal for a single sale on over $6000Cdn (Nikon D700, 2 Nikkor lenses, multiple SB-800s, grip, multiple EN-EL4a batteries, chargers, battery adapter and on and on and on... they lowered the prices about $1-2 dollars A PIECE on everything except the camera which they did not drop a penny on... and which I am able to pickup for over $200 less at their competitors, and they KNEW this, as I told them exactly what the competition quoted me!)... so they lost out on that deal.

On top of that, the competition offered me (after hearing that BH could not price match)... a drop of $20 on shipping costs and upping the shipping method from 5-7 day shipping to overnight shipping.

I now know 100% where I will be getting my D700 from and it may come sooner than February.

It did not make sense, because at BHPhoto, the 800s were never under 320, even the import ones (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/300467-GREY/Nikon_4801_SB_800_Speedlight.html), which have not been in stock for a while now... I know, as I have been watching them closely.
I know you like Strobist, so I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to link to it: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2008/09/act-fast-best-buy-liquidating-nikon-sb.html

Those are all scam sites.

I know you like Strobist, so I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to link to it: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2008/09/act-fast-best-buy-liquidating-nikon-sb.html

BestBuy and Future Shop are a client of mine, so I have "contacts" inside. The real story is that 15 stores in the USA received an erroneous memo to liquidate the SB-800s because the SB-900 was coming out fast and taking over at a lower price and higher performance.

In the space of 1 week:
- Exactly 128 SB-800s were liquidated in Canada within 2 business days, some higher amount in the USA over the same time.
- SB-900 came out at a price of $599US at the time but neither FS nor BB stock it anywhere, and it is not listed on their websites. (BB and FS are the same company!)
- SB-600s are listing for $251US at BB and $270Cdn at FS Canada
- one guy was fired for sending off bogus memos without verifying prices.

So that's the inside scoop. ;) some guys just got lucky. :D

For the $100 price mentioned in the original post, the SB-400 and the rest of the Nikon SB ??? series is being well covered.

For another flash in that same price range, either on camera or off camera, what do you guys think about the Vivitar 285HV ????

I don't think third party flashes will work with i-TTL, will they?

I don't think third party flashes will work with i-TTL, will they?

Not sure, but the original post in this thread didn't mention i-TTL, and I was just answering the question that was asked...

Right now, the Wal-Mart website shows the Nikon SB-600 as being available for $184.84

From what I hear, the SB-600 is the best bang for the buck. I guess that's what I'm going to have to get.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back