Nikon SB-400: Best flash for around $100?

Well Jerry I'll see if I can find my invoice for you

Well Jerry I'll see if I can find my invoice for you

Why, were you one of the lucky ones?

Show me a place today where I can purchase a SB-800 at sub $300 prices and are a proven reliable source. I'm looking for anywhere from 2-4 more to add to my setup. :D

What about [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-EF-500-Super-Omni-Bounce-Rechargeable/dp/B000OFJ5DO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1226886990&sr=1-5]this[/ame] flash? It says it works with i-TTL. Is it better, worse, or the same than the SB-600?

I think it's good to save for an SB600. I got lucky when I bought mine. My friend upgraded to an SB800, after only have her SB600 for a month, sold me that, a softbox and umbrella for $125.

Now...for the SB600...I am NO lighting expert AT ALL. I am very new to the whole "off camera flash" thing. What I dislike about the SB600 is the fact that, in remote mode, the pop-up is commander, which means it fires. If taking pictures up close of your subject, you'll want to do something to soften/bounce that pop-up because you'll get flash eye if you don't.
You can get one of these.

I use my SB600 on camera right now. It's much easier for me (after trying both, I've realized this), and does what I need it to for now. If I were to take actual portraits of people, oh yes, using it off camera would be very important.
Now this may not be the best example of a great picture, but I used my SB600 on my camera for this, and bounced it off the ceiling. I don't think it looks flat at all.
3024632211_4426a40a16.jpg

I could be wrong, though.

Depending on the camera, you can set the settings for the on camera flash to not contribute to the scene by setting it to "--". Of course you can also set it to work as a front fill flash or full additional flash (with lower power, of course), as well.

Depending on the camera, you can set the settings for the on camera flash to not contribute to the scene by setting it to "--". Of course you can also set it to work as a front fill flash or full additional flash (with lower power, of course), as well.

Really???? I feel really stupid right now.:lol:
This lighting/flash stuff is the part of photography that IS NOT easy to pick up. There's just SOOO much to it.
I'm just not used to it yet. I know the settings that you're talking about, because I've somehow messed with them on my camera before, but I didn't know what it was, and I cannot always tell what the hell is firing and what's NOT firing.:blushing:
I know I'll learn this because I'm a fast learner, but I don't have it down yet.

What, you mean that you cannot instantly memorize 600-700 page documents by glancing at them for 1 second per page? I'm so disappointed in you! (LOL!)

Yeah, there is a lot to learn and it is often the small things that make a difference. Don't worry, we're all in the same boat and as far as I am concerned, I learn a lot of new things everyday!

My issue now is that there is so much info, that as I learn new things, I forget about the old things... so I review a lot.

That's why last night I was using CLS and not my wireless triggers... just to do a little revision. :)

My thing is, manuals give me tornado brain, as I've stated before. ESPECIALLY Nikon manuals. I am a visual, hands-on learner. When I got my flash, I slapped it on my camera, turned to my husband and said, "SMILE!"...flash did not fire.
I was like, "What the holy hell...?"
So, I grabbed the manual I printed out (my friend couldn't locate the manual for the flash, so I got it with no manual), and...instant tornado brain. My husband found a you tube video on how to set up the SB600 in remote for the D80. Well, I have a D300, but I was able to find the same settings, so I got it working in remote mode.
YAY.
But damn that pop up flash firing. My dog had "green/blue eye bulb" in almost every shot, and my frustration grew. I tried looking in my manual (tornado brain), I tried searching online, I tried asking people. I couldn't find ANYTHING that helped me learn to get it to work ON my camera.

Oh, and don't try changing ANYTHING on your flash when your wide angle reflector thingy is down on it. Won't happen.:lol: See where I'm at with this flash stuff??:lol:
My problem was: I kept thinking my changes had to be made in MY CAMERA. So, for whatever reason, it didn't occur to me that I had to change modes on my FLASH. D'oh and DUH.
FINALLY a friend asked me, "Well, what mode is your FLASH in?"
And the bells went off and I grabbed my flash manual, and I FORCED myself to find the VERY simple answer I was looking for.
I got it on TTL, slapped it back on my camera, locked it in place, BAM. My flash fired.

Now I'm afraid to put it into remote mode ever again. ALL I needed to know how to do was how to change modes on my flash. But I'm POSITIVE, I'll have to look that info up AGAIN when I want to change modes.

I'm exhausted.

I'm exhausted.
If it's any consolation, I have to go through the mental gymnastics when I put the flash ON the camera. :lol: Off camera is a breeze (for me), heck, a lot of times I just hand hold the flash rather than putting it on the hot shoe.

I think it's good to save for an SB600. I got lucky when I bought mine. My friend upgraded to an SB800, after only have her SB600 for a month, sold me that, a softbox and umbrella for $125.

Now...for the SB600...I am NO lighting expert AT ALL. I am very new to the whole "off camera flash" thing. What I dislike about the SB600 is the fact that, in remote mode, the pop-up is commander, which means it fires. If taking pictures up close of your subject, you'll want to do something to soften/bounce that pop-up because you'll get flash eye if you don't.
You can get one of these.

I use my SB600 on camera right now. It's much easier for me (after trying both, I've realized this), and does what I need it to for now. If I were to take actual portraits of people, oh yes, using it off camera would be very important.
Now this may not be the best example of a great picture, but I used my SB600 on my camera for this, and bounced it off the ceiling. I don't think it looks flat at all.
3024632211_4426a40a16.jpg

I could be wrong, though.

yes... Jerry is right Chewy... you can disable the onboard flash in the commander set up..

Define a proven reliable source. I posted a couple of sites that had a deal on the flash. When I was shopping for the flash back in May I just did a google search and an Amazon.com search, which is generally how I find all the deal I get.

New World vidoe direct is a Paypal verified site
Top choice has has a privicy policy in place and
WEBSITE: www.topchoicedigital.comSTATUS: McAfee Secure CERTIFICATION 17-NOV-2008 This site is tested and certified daily to pass the “McAfee Secure” Security Scan. To help address concerns about possible hacker access to your confidential data, and the safety of visiting this site, the "live" McAfee Secure mark appears only when this site passes the daily McAfee Secure tests.

http://www.topchoicedigital.com/view...9406&l=Froogle
http://www.newworldvideodirect.com/p...&refid=froogle

Define a proven reliable source. I posted a couple of sites that had a deal on the flash. When I was shopping for the flash back in May I just did a google search and an Amazon.com search, which is generally how I find all the deal I get.

New World vidoe direct is a Paypal verified site
Top choice has has a privicy policy in place and
WEBSITE: www.topchoicedigital.comSTATUS: McAfee Secure CERTIFICATION 17-NOV-2008 This site is tested and certified daily to pass the “McAfee Secure” Security Scan. To help address concerns about possible hacker access to your confidential data, and the safety of visiting this site, the "live" McAfee Secure mark appears only when this site passes the daily McAfee Secure tests.

http://www.topchoicedigital.com/view...9406&l=Froogle
http://www.newworldvideodirect.com/p...&refid=froogle

Do a google store review on those sites you posted.
I'm curious to know what a bunch of customer reviews say about the place before I buy from it.
Reputable stores are stores such as B&H, Adorama, Ritz, Amazon, and I know there are others that are slipping my mind.
Just because a site is "hacker free", doesn't mean that the business is going to do right by the customer when they sell them a product.
I'm not saying this is the case for the sites you posted links to, but I'm willing to bet I'll be surprised if I do a google search and find out those are reputable stores with happy customers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back