Nikon - Sigma Lens Question

cmrotell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
cmrotell.myportfolio.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was recently at a seminar where a Nikon pro/rep was giving a talk. They strongly suggested that Nikon owners should only shoot with Nikon Nikkor lenses. The reason he gave was that Nikon lenses, specifically the glass in those lenses, are optimized for Nikon body sensors. I need a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens and the 2700 price tag is just a touch out of my range. I was really scoping out the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 DG OS HSM, which hasn't come out yet. After hearing this new information though I've become hesitant and wondering if I should wait to save some more cash.

I've never owned anything but Nikon lenses and just wondering what others have experienced.

I am not a Nikon user, but I will have to say that I have some/had great Sigma lenses ... and they are not even some of the new ones they have put out, which I hear are pretty good.

Last edited:
Most every manufacturer tries to do that same "buy only my brand gear." This is primarily to keep you buying their stuff and increasing their revenue.
  • Buy a Monblanc fountain pen, and in the instructions they specify to "only use Monblanc ink."
    • Will the pen clog or fail if you use another reputable brand of ink?
  • Car manufacturers try to get you to take your car back to the dealer for servicing, not an independent repair shop, so they make money off labor and expensive OEM parts.
    • Do you really need a BMW boxed windshield wiper, or will a wiper from an auto parts store work just as well?
    • BMW probably got it from someone like Bosch, and had Bosch put it in a BMW box.

Last edited:
Now what I can tell you is the UI can make a significant difference.
Example, the zoom ring on the Nikon and Sigma lenses turn in opposite directions.
If you shoot sport or fast action stuff, you WANT the zoom rings to turn IN THE SAME DIRECTION. This is because in those situations, you are using muscle memory to turn the zoom ring.
  • You don't actually think "I need to zoom in, so hand turn the zoom ring to the right."
  • In reality, you see that you need to zoom in, and your hand just turns the zoom ring to zoom in. Your muscles know which way to turn the zoom ring, your brain does not have to tell it which way to turn.
  • You will be messed up and loosing shots, if each time, you have to think "I need to zoom in, this is a Sigma lens, so I have to turn to the left."
Let me tell you, it sucks when you turn the zoom the wrong way, and loose a shot.
So from that point of view, I would NOT get a Sigma zoom for my Nikon.
Tamron's zoom ring does turn in the same direction as Nikon.​

However, if you are NOT in a fast moving situation, then it really does not matter.
So what if you turn the zoom the wrong way, just turn it the other way.

Example, the zoom ring on the Nikon and Sigma lenses turn in opposite directions.
If you shoot sport or fast action stuff, you WANT the zoom rings to turn IN THE SAME DIRECTION. This is because in those situations, you are using muscle memory to turn the zoom ring.
  • You don't actually think "I need to zoom in, so hand turn the zoom ring to the right."
  • In reality, you see that you need to zoom in, and your hand just turns the zoom ring to zoom in. Your muscles know which way to turn the zoom ring, your brain does not have to tell it which way to turn.
  • You will be messed up and loosing shots, if each time, you have to think "I need to zoom in, this is a Sigma lens, so I have to turn to the left."
Let me tell you, it sucks when you turn the zoom the wrong way, and loose a shot.

However, if you are NOT in a fast moving situation, then it really does not matter.

Interesting perspective and I've been shooting Nikon for years, I can see this going south.

I have a Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART I shoot on my D850 and it is a fantastic lens.

Interesting perspective and I've been shooting Nikon for years, I can see this going south.

It was worse in the film days, when we had to consider which way the focusing ring turned.

But again, if you were not in a FAST moving situation, it did not matter.

After hearing this new information though I've become hesitant and wondering if I should wait to save some more cash.

what news? That Nikon wants you to buy overpriced Nikon?

I need a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens and the 2700 price tag is just a touch out of my range.

I've never owned anything but Nikon lenses and just wondering what others have experienced.
1) Start shopping for a good, clean, used copy at about 1/3 the price of new. The range I've seen them is around $700 - $750

2) There is at least one reviewer online who would never recommend any Sigma lens for any application.

I wouldn't know how well the Nikon glass is matched to their sensors, but from what I've read, most Nikon lenses are pretty good lenses. Some are even better.

I've been very happy with my Sigma 150mm to 600mm lens. :encouragement:

Last edited:
I used both Sigma and Tamron on my Nikon. No issues and half the cost or better.

Most every manufacturer tries to do that same "buy only my brand gear." This is primarily to keep you buying their stuff and increasing their revenue.
  • Buy a Monblanc fountain pen, and in the instructions they specify to "only use Monblanc ink."
    • Will the pen clog or fail if you use another reputable brand of ink?

Well, not normally, but there are inks that have been known to clog a fountain pen.

Most reactions

Back