Nikon TC-20e III Teleconverter with Tamron Lens

5thDayPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Nikon D3s, and an older Tamron SP AF 300mm 2.8 lens (Nikon F-mount), to which I would like to add a teleconverter for long-distance birding shots. Everyone says that the Nikon TC-20e III is the best, but I can find no way to make it work with a Tamron lens. My research indicates that it is only compatible with a small list of Nikkor AF-S and AF-I lenses. Is there any way to use this setup? Any type of adapter or converter that makes this possible, or do I need to go with the lower quality Tamron SP 2x? Also, if I definitely cannot use the newer Nikon teleconverters, how would the older Nikon TC-201 compare to the Tamron teleconverter? I know I would have to go with manual focus, but I often do so anyway. I am most concerned with sharpness and image quality. Any information would be great appreciated, and do have a lovely weekend!

A. deLeeuw
5th Day Photography

I read you can somewhere but cant remember where I read it. if I recall correctly, to get it working with other lenses involves physically filing down a part of either the teleconverter or the lens mounts, I cant recall which one. Either way - I'd stay away from doing that.

Yes, you can make it work, but it will require delicate machine by a skilled machinist, which will probably cost you as much or more than buying a new 3rd party 300mm lens. Pretty much any other TC will work; my preference would be for the Kenko, as, IMO, they're about the best of the 3rd party TCs.

I definitely did NOT want to file down the tab on the teleconverter, but was hoping there might be some sort of adapter. Oh well.

In terms of preferring the Kenko, is that based on sharpness/image quality, or some other qualities. I will check out the reviews...thanks!

As to the older Nikon TC-201, any reviews from anybody regarding the image quality comparison? I can find reviews from the time it was released, but nothing that compares the glass quality to the newer Tamron or Kenko teleconverters.

Preference for Kenko is based on the overall good quality of their product range. I haven't used anything other than Nikon TCs for a long time, but I do know of people who are very happy with theirs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back