Nikon Teleconverters

elementgs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.element.gs
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I've been looking at picking up a Teleconverter to give me a bit of an extra reach on the 70-200 f2.8. I've read reviews, I've searched online and truthfully, I've done as much research as I can do. I know I lose some stops and even sharpness/quality, but what I'm trying to determine is how bad of a quality difference is there?

I have the Nikon D810 and the 70-200 f2.8 so the quality is there, how much of that quality am I going to lose? Does anyone have any full size sample photos taken with a Nikon Teleconverter that I can see?

My second question pertains to the variation in the two models below. I recognize the primary differences between the 17E and the 20E but the 20E III seems to have been largely overlooked, at least from what I can find. Perhaps I overlooked them but none of the threads I can find on tPF refer to the III. The II sucked according to every review I've read but the new 20E III looks to have made up for it.

Anyone with experience on it yet?

Nikon TC-17E - Amazon.com : Nikon TC-17E II (1.7x) Teleconverter AF-S for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras : Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo
Nikon TC-20E - Amazon.com : Nikon TC-20E III 2x Teleconverter for AF-S & AF-I Lense with Pouch & Cleaning Set : Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have both the 1.4 and 1.7 TC IIs. Both are very good on the 70-200.

I can't say as I don't need / want / own one.

General rule is the more magnification you have the more image quality you lose. If you plan to crop the image afterward to get even more magnification then the image quality lose is ever more evident.

I went with the 1.7. I feel like I should have tried the 20 but the 1.7 seems to have way better reviews overall.

I'll let you all know how it turns out once I get a chance to use it.

Ive got the 1.7 seemed the best compromise out of the 3.
And I've been more than happy with it.

I picked up a 1.7 as well and have been very happy with it.

Most reactions

Back