Nikon VR Technology

Andrea K

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about Nikon's (I assume that it is only Nikon's although I'm not positive) VR technology that some of their lenses have. I understand that it allows you to shoot at slower shutter speeds without camera shake. Does anyone know how effective this is, how much slower can you shoot with the VR lenses, and does the VR mess with the overall image quality (noisy)?

Thanks

Canon has it also, as well as other companies. It works very well, allowing you to handhold 200mm lenses and shoot at speeds down to even 1/60 of a second and get sharp photos. It does not change the image quality. It's a mechanism of the lens that stabalizes it.

I have the nikon 24-120mm VR lens
and the first thing that I did after I got it home
was test the VR function on a brick wall.

Hand held at 120mm I took some pictures at 1/8 sec.
with and without the VR function.

On a 8x10 print without VR it's a big blur (duuuuu) but
with the VR on it's nice and clear and it was cold when
I did that test so I was shakkkkking.

Digital Matt said:
It does not change the image quality. It's a mechanism of the lens that stabalizes it.

well depending upon how you look at it it does change the image quality. A sharp photo is of a much higher image quality than a blurred one ;)

Canon’s equivalent is the “IS“ (image stabilizer) line of lenses. I would image that the quality between the two are same. As for the noisy I have the Canon 28-70 IS it make a very extremely low humming sound. On a scale of 0 to 10 it’s about 0.2

I use the lens to shot mostly baseball and some water-skiing hand held. It works fine in day light even with a 2x. But for baseball at night it can be little soft depending on the lights.

For the average user they allow you to shoot about 3 full steps slower. If you have particularily steady hands you might be able to go even slower.

About the only thing it can't "fix" is moving targets.

I have the 24-120 as well, and couldn't be happier.

I gave up a Nikon F100 with 28-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 lenses which were IF VR ED etc. for my Nikon F3 with prime lenses. There's no comparison in the quality - the primes steal the show. I didn't take one professional quality shot with the VR lenses and they cost about £1,500 each. The primes I p/ex them for are a million times better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back