Nikon vs Canon - No not that kind of thread

mikoh4792

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not going to ask which system to buy, instead I have a question concerning the general sealing qualities of these companies. Does one company usually have more dust/oil issues than the other?(excluding the d600). For example, if I were to choose between a canon t5i and nikon d5200, or canon d70 and nikon d7100, can I expect one model to catch dust/oil on the sensors more often than the other?

Any camera made can get dust on the sensor, it just happens. As far as oil, well the D600 was the only time I've heard of it being such a big issue.

Any answer you will get here will be most likely pure speculation as none of us here has any real statistics about these matters.
Dust is collected on sensors, its a fact of life and the reason of how bad it will be really depends on the user rather then the camera.
It depends of how many times you change the lenses and how dusty is the sorounding of where you shoot.

The only camera that we know had some issue with oil/dust was the Nikon D600, this problem was blown way out of its real proportions but in any case Nikon addressed this issue solved the problem and came out with the Nikon D610 model which as far as I know is trouble free from its older sister problems.

Canon and Nikon make good reliable cameras, I wouldnt worry about reliablity issues with ether one of them.
You can get a lemon with either one and for that you get warrenty.

Any answer you will get here will be most likely pure speculation as none of us here has any real statistics about these matters.
Dust is collected on sensors, its a fact of life and the reason of how bad it will be really depends on the user rather then the camera.
It depends of how many times you change the lenses and how dusty is the sorounding of where you shoot.

The only camera that we know had some issue with oil/dust was the Nikon D600, this problem was blown way out of its real proportions but in any case Nikon addressed this issue solved the problem and came out with the Nikon D610 model which as far as I know is trouble free from its older sister problems.

Canon and Nikon make good reliable cameras, I wouldnt worry about reliablity issues with ether one of them.

Thank you both for the answers. I am new to the photography world, so I was under the naive assumption that dust collection was not an inevitable problem with dslrs (Since i'm used to cameras without interchangeable lens).

In that case, when I do collect dust/oil with dslr's is it something I can fix myself with a cleaning kit or do I need to have it done by professionals at a store?

Thank you both for the answers. I am new to the photography world, so I was under the naive assumption that dust collection was not an inevitable problem with dslrs (Since i'm used to cameras without interchangeable lens).

In that case, when I do collect dust/oil with dslr's is it something I can fix myself with a cleaning kit or do I need to have it done by professionals at a store?

I would take it to a professional to have it done. It's not expensive and if you mess up it could get expensive.

Keep in mind that you can also get dust IN your lens. This is a normal thing though that you can't clean unless skilled in that field (except for the outside glass faces).

Also you surroundings will impact things alot. If you work in a dry, dusty environment and do alot of lens changes, well, the dust will get in. The camera does not have an air filtration system. They do though can vibrate the mirror to budge light dust, such as the d7000 which has a Clean Image Sensor option in the Setup Menu (and many NIkons).

but the most annoying is getting dust on your viewfinder. using a Rocketblower generally gets rid of it. This is where you visually see the dust without even taking a photo.

In other words, it's a common occurrence.

I would take it to a professional to have it done. It's not expensive and if you mess up it could get expensive.

Keep in mind that you can also get dust IN your lens. This is a normal thing though that you can't clean unless skilled in that field (except for the outside glass faces).

Also you surroundings will impact things alot. If you work in a dry, dusty environment and do alot of lens changes, well, the dust will get in. The camera does not have an air filtration system. They do though can vibrate the mirror to budge light dust, such as the d7000 which has a Clean Image Sensor option in the Setup Menu (and many NIkons).

but the most annoying is getting dust on your viewfinder. using a Rocketblower generally gets rid of it. This is where you visually see the dust without even taking a photo.

In other words, it's a common occurrence.

Thanks.

astroNikon, if you get dust in your lens, can you also take that in to the store to have it fixed?

Right now I have an entry level dslr(nikon d5200) and will try to learn as much as I can before thinking of upgrading. However for animal photography(macro and long range) would there be any obvious advantages between crop sensor and full frame dslrs?(for my purpose)

Well dust collection is inevitable, but really it takes an awful lot before you will actually start noticing any effect on the actual pictures, and for folks that don't use the camera often and don't change lenses a lot they will often end up parting with the camera before enough dust is collected that it might actually have any affect on the image. Most modern cameras have mechanisms inside that shake the sensor to dislodge any dust from it, and they generally come out of the factory setup to have this anti-dust mechanism activate when the camera is powered on, or sometimes when it's powered off.

They do sell cleaning kits for sensors, but honestly considering how little my local camera shop charges for a professional cleaning and how rare it is that one is needed, well I've never considered going that route myself.

The image sensor in a digital camera has power applied to it so it can work.
Consequently the image sensor develops a static electrical charge that attracts dust.
How strong that static electrical charge gets will vary based on the environmental conditions a camera is used in.

How much dust gets into and stays in the camera is in large part up to the camera user.
Steps can be taken when changing a lens that help minimize the opportunity for dust to get in the camera.
How a camera is stored also factors into how much dust the camera is exposed to.

Just to make it clear, I own DSLR cameras for over 5 years and I never had dust problems on my sensor.
I think you really worry yourself too much about this issue.
Its not as common as you might think and if you do get dust on sensor just get it clean by a pro and be done with it.

Just to make it clear, I own DSLR cameras for over 5 years and I never had dust problems on my sensor.
Its not as common as you might think and if you do get dust on sensor just get it clean by a pro and be done with it.

Good to hear.

Does an upgrade in processor make a noticeable difference? For example I heard the d610 has an expeed 3 processor which is considerably slower than the d7100 which has an expeed 4...etc

Good to hear.

Does an upgrade in processor make a noticeable difference? For example I heard the d610 has an expeed 3 processor which is considerably slower than the d7100 which has an expeed 4...etc

i think both D610 and D7100 is equipped with a EXPEED 3 processor..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back