NIKON VS SIGMA 70-300MM

puyjapin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am considering buying a new lens to replace the somewhat limited lens for my D40. I gather the Nikon lens has the VR built in which I think will be good for me as some of my shots appear slightly blurred with my kit lens. This is obviously a fairly expensive lens. I have seen the Sigma 70-300 APO lens for half the price. Does anyone know if this lens also has a VR equivilent function on it or will I have to get the Nikon?
Thx

That particular Sigma does not have the VR equiv on it.

The 70-300 VR is an excellent (although slow) lens as far as image quality goes... it is fairly pricey for what it is though.

My personal favorite in the range is the Tamron 70-300 LD DI Macro, which I own (be sure if you buy one to get the version with the internal motor which will autofocus on your D40).

does the tamron have a VR facility, as i think my hand is sometimes not steady enough, thanks

Nope, sure doesn't. The "VR" stuff pretty much is all going to run you more money in the 300mm range.

If you want inexpensive VR then look at the outstanding 55-200VR at about $200.

Of course the Nikon is better! From the sample photos that I've seen, the Sigma isn't that sharp. I just ordered my Nikon 70-300mm AF G (not VR) for about $140. Best bang for the buck ;)

The Sigma 100-300F4 is a good lens, lets see some of your blurred shots with kit lens it could be due to wrong shutter speed

shutter speed is on auto as i tend to shoot in aperture mode. I will upload some in a bit. I went to a butterfly farm today, some decent shots and some a bit blurry. thx

Would u say the VR is a massive aid in reducing blurryness as there is a massive difference in price in the non VR models??

shutter speed is on auto as i tend to shoot in aperture mode. I will upload some in a bit. I went to a butterfly farm today, some decent shots and some a bit blurry. thx

Would u say the VR is a massive aid in reducing blurryness as there is a massive difference in price in the non VR models??

It depends.

Honestly, the best thing to do to reduce blurriness is to learn how to turn that camera off of auto mode and setting your shutter speed to a more appropriate level for what you are shooting.

Here's a way you can start learning... switch it to sports mode, then start paying attention to what the shutter speeds are set at. Just wander around look at those settings. That will give you an idea.

It depends on the situation. VR may not help at all in some cases. If you take a picture of a moving object, faster shutter speed is better than VR.

If you can afford it, the Nikon VR is a better lens and is very sharp wide open. If you can stop down to f/8 or higher then the Sigma is very sharp as well. Although....I'm starting to wonder if maybe I just lucked out with a really, really good copy because a lot people dismiss this lens as not great and I get superb sharpness and overall quality from the lens.

It seems as if there's been a lot of talk about this group of lenses lately and I constantly post my images in defense of the Sigma 70-300 apo. Rather than do that, I'll just say that the link in my signature ....all animal shots and all macro insect and flower shots are with the Sigma 70-300 APO. It's really a bargain lens and unless I've gotten an exceptionally and unusually sharp copy, I think it is way under credited.

surely with anythin g near to a slowish shutter speed a tripod would be obligatory?? which in many cases is not always practical..

There are a few Sigma lenses that do have the OS (optical stabilizer) built in. I believe the 120-400 and the 150-500 do, not sure about the pricing though....the zoom range might also be a bit excessive as well.

Most reactions

Back