Nikon's aggressive strategy: 8 new DSLR and 12 new lenses between 2013-2014 (so far)

ruifo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I posted this in another forum, and thought of bringing it here as well.

Nikon is really aggressive with new cameras releases. If you look back, between 2013 and 2014, Nikon's new releases are: D7100 (Feb/2013), D5300 (Oct/2013), D610 (Oct/2013), Df (Nov/2013), D3300 (Jan/2014), D4s (Feb/2014), D810 (Jul/2014), and soon now the D750 (Sep/2014) as well. Nothing less than 8 (eight) new DSLR bodies between last year and now. Am I missing any other one? It's easy to get lost...

Kudos to Nikon!!

And there are still unconfirmed rumors about a "D7200", "D9300", "D2300" etc... That's a lot of new DSLRs.

I see lots of innovation and quality, alongside with quantity as well. For instance:

• The 24 MPix DX sensors (both the ones made by Toshiba and by Sony) being offered at the D3200, D3300, D5200, D5300 and D7100 => I believe these are revolutionary, even knowing some people deslike MPix (and I understand why). The capacity of these sensors are stunning, even at high ISO levels.
  • The 36 MPix FX sensors (made by Sony) being offered at the D800, D800E and D810 are also amazing and revolutionary. Don't tell me it from Sony/Toshiba, not from Nikon. Who cares? The end results on the Nikon bodies (DX and FX) are stuning. I will not be surprise if the future shows us a 54'ish MPix FF camera as well. And rumors point out that Canon is developing a high MPix technology as well, to compete with Nikon.
  • The strategy around the canceleing (or removal) of the Anti Aliasing Filter and the Optical Low Pass Filter has also being doing a sharpness revolution in itself. DxoMark scores makes this very evident, once Nikon DSLR are really consolidated in the top of the ranking for quite sometime now. This kind of technology is present in all level of bodies, like the D3300, D5300, D7100, D800E and D810. And it is making some lenses to really shine.
  • The growing of ISO performace, creating recent new kings and queens of low light performance, like the D4s and the Df.
  • For me (not a sports photog), the native base ISO 64 at the D810 is also revolutionary (again) these days. Although it is nothing brand new, recent DSLRs have been forgeting about lowering the native base ISO for some time, until the release of the D810. The benefits are so good. I guess this will possibly become a trend again.
  • etc...
And for new lenses releases, I could count at least 12 different releases (including two teleconverters) between 2013 and now, and we might see more next month, during Photokina:

• AF-S 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 G IF-ED (Jan/2013)
  • AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR II (Jan/2013)
  • AF-S 35mm f/1.8 G ED FX (Jan/2013)
  • AF-S 800mm f/5.6 E FL ED VR (Jan/2013)
  • AF-S TC800 1.25 E (Jan/2013)
  • AF-S 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G IF-ED VR (Mar/2013)
  • AF-S 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 G IF-ED VR (May/2013)
  • AF-S 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6 G IF-ED VR (Aug/2013)
  • AF-S 58mm f/1.4 G (Oct/2013)
  • AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G Silver Ring (Nov/2013)
  • AF-S 400mm f/2.8 E IF-ED VR (May/2014)
  • AF-S TC-14E III (May/2014)
That's a lot. Most of these lenses are really shining in the reviews out there, including great levels of sharpness in the 36 MPix sensor, like the case of the AF-S 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 G IF ED when paired with the D800E or the D810. Believe it or not, its resuts are equivalent to the world famous 14-24mm.

And all that amidst a market that is supposed to be in a moment of crisis.

You may argue whether this is revolution or just evolution. And that's fair and fine. One way or the other, it is simply amazing to see what's going on. Again, kudos to Nikon.

What do you think of 2015 onwards? Will the pace of new releases continue to be the same? What can we expect?

Last edited:
Canon is also doing a big push on new lenses - basically they have to; both groups. Because the new high MP digital sensors were out-resolving many regular lenses, even those sitting in top seat positions.

Also remember that whilst there IS a recession going on hobbies do well in recessions compared to other market sectors. Because people are far more in need of distraction and far less likely to save their money; so they are more likely to spend it on entertaining themselves through hobbies. The whole economic downturn encourages more to get that really good camera that they always wanted.

So yes this provides a big avenue for the DSLR groups to reach out and get new customers and well as more money from existing customers.

Also don't forget these companies trade at the international level so their potential for profit (esp for Canon and Nikon that own a lions share of the DSLR market) are vast.

If there's nothing to improve on, why would they put out a new version?

So your saying the current 24-70 is perfect and theres nothing they can improve on???

What would you like to have improved on it?

Specifically I have nothing, I absolutely love my 24-70. However.

I think theres always room for improvement, just like the did with the 70-200 vrii.

I believe the 24-70 was released back in 2006 or 7, thats almost 10 years. Nothing has changed in almost ten years that they could improve it, even if only by 20%?

I think the current Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 would benefit from a VR system, like the Tamron equivalent, specially for those shooting videos. Also, there are rumors about a possible "Sigma 24-70mm f/2 OS HSM" lens (source 1, source 2, etc.). If that turns out to be true, it will probably push Nikon to improve the trinity lenses.

Furthermore, currently, the optics formula of the "Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC" is said to be better than the Nikkor causin (according to DxoMark), and it has the so famous tri-axes VC from Tamron.

Now thats interesting. The Sigma

............, even if only by 20%?

Would you even notice a 20% improvement?

Would you even need it?

I noticed the 70-200 vr to vrii.....How much would you say that improvement was? 35%?

Need? Yes. The 24-70 is my go to lens for weddings. I extra 20% would be crucial when it comes to a hit or miss due to extreme low light.

.........I noticed the 70-200 vr to vrii..... How much would you say that the improvement was? 35%?..........

Never having used the 1, I would have no idea.

Better IQ, less distortion, Fluorine coating, extra stop of vr.

By this list, every lens needs updated.

Of course. I want to be able to take super sharp pictures in a earthquake, while sitting on the spinning blades of a grounded helicopter at full power and at the same time being flooded with a mudstorms with a 7 year old on my shoulders screaming and flailing around for something in the grocery store.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back