Nikon's got a new 50mm

YES!!! Finally, a 50mm for my D40.

Where does the word aperture even appear in my post? :confused:

I said that this is a G lens... meaning it is meant as a FX lens (the G means more than just not having an aperture ring. I have never seen a G lens in DX format anywhere, as far as I know).

Yes, I meant it was a lens originally designed for use on FX sensors. :wink:

the old 50mm f1.4 D dropped to 250$, isn't that the time to get the old one? will the image quality be really better on the new 50mm ? bokeh is the same on the two lenses?

the old 50mm f1.4 D dropped to 250$, isn't that the time to get the old one? will the image quality be really better on the new 50mm ? bokeh is the same on the two lenses?

It's not just Bokeh... this is a professional quality lens... you have to look at things like focus speed, low light focus accuracy, flaring tendencies, CA, colour rendition etc

Nikon was able to greatly improve the legendary 28-70 with the 24-70, the legendary 80-200 with the 70-200vr.... i doubt this lens will be any different...

For a pro making money the difference in cost is nominal and is the cost of doing business....

For Amateurs/Hobbyists all of the older Nikon 50mm's are sharp, cheap, and convenient... it's just up to you how much you want to spend....

Ok. It has a built in motor, but does Nikon really think that the entry level togs are going to splurge $500 on a lens? We shall see I reckon. :D

Ok. It has a built in motor, but does Nikon really think that the entry level togs are going to splurge $500 on a lens? We shall see I reckon. :D

If they want at 50mm they will. It's either that or sell their body and get a new body just to AF the "old" 50mm. I love my 50 and now that price has come down on the 1.4 I'm going to pick one of those up...

If they want at 50mm they will. It's either that or sell their body and get a new body just to AF the "old" 50mm. I love my 50 and now that price has come down on the 1.4 I'm going to pick one of those up...

Yeah, if they want one they'll have to buy it, but most people I know who own entry level cameras think $500 is a lot for the body alone. lol Must less a lens.

I do think it's a good move on Nikons part though. Much needed upgrade to a legendary lens.

Yeah, if they want one they'll have to buy it, but most people I know who own entry level cameras think $500 is a lot for the body alone. lol Must less a lens.

I do think it's a good move on Nikons part though. Much needed upgrade to a legendary lens.
Absolutely a good move. I think what would be a better move on Nikons part would be to add the AF motor back into the body like they had on the D50. Most people are unaware or don't think that they will ever want to use a prime, or non AFS lens. I got into the digital market from film not researching it a whole lot, and ended up with a d40, a few months later, sold it for a used d70 just so I could AF a 50mm... I think the smarter move on the part of someone wanting to get farther into it and start using primes would be to just go ahead and spend that $500 on a new or used body that will work with all of the other non afs lenses. Lets face it, yeah it's nice that they have a 50mm AFS now, but if you have a D40/D40x/D60 you still can't use all of the other awesome non AFS lenses made by Nikon...

Absolutely agree. To be honest, I've only been into the digital world for about a year and a half I guess. I didn't have the options of the non-internal motor bodies at all. I got a D80, but knowing what little I did when i bought it, had I of had the option of a D40 or D60, I might have opted for the cheaper model.

And being a prime man primarily using a 50mm 1.8 and 28mm 2.8, I would have been heartbroken knowing I could AF with them. :D

Last edited:
Ugh! Every time Nikon comes out with a G lens, it's another step back from the compatibility issue.

hmm... Really interested in how this handles next to the sigma. Granted if it's a good copy, I would imagine the sigma would still be better because it's a more advanced design.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back