Nikon's got a new 50mm

hmm... Really interested in how this handles next to the sigma. Granted if it's a good copy, I would imagine the sigma would still be better because it's a more advanced design.

how so?

It seems to have several new design details which dpreview considers a new development, mostly the use of an aspherical element.
You can find a link to the review here.

Ok. It has a built in motor, but does Nikon really think that the entry level togs are going to splurge $500 on a lens? We shall see I reckon.

The lens isn't 500 bucks. It's 439 "street" price which means you'll start seeing them used for 375, and possibly even new for sub 400. For someone who wants that fast prime action on the "standard" workhorse 50MM focal length, thats not going to be THAT much money.

The lens isn't 500 bucks. It's 439 "street" price which means you'll start seeing them used for 375, and possibly even new for sub 400. For someone who wants that fast prime action on the "standard" workhorse 50MM focal length, thats not going to be THAT much money.

$470ish with tax, so I rounded. :D

And I agree, but your average entry tog (someone buying a camera to take shots of their kid or just for trips, etc) won't understand the value in the lens. That's my point.

It seems to have several new design details which dpreview considers a new development, mostly the use of an aspherical element.
You can find a link to the review here.

thanks for the link.. i didn't know..

IMO.... the only elements I see Sigma superior to the main party lenses is in the way of copy lottery...

While a lot of entry level DSLR owners will think it is a lot for a lens. There are a lot of us D40/60 owners who do not. Some of us are not blessed with the budget to spend $1200+ for a body and then spend more on lenses.

When I got my D60, I had a hard budget of $650 for a camera and lens. With a recent bonus I just got the 70-300VR !WOOT! (wanted the 70-200 2.8 but don't have $1700) and I will pay $439 sometime next year for the 50mm. So for less than $1500 I will have a great system that I can learn on and if/when I am able to move up to a D300 (or whatever series they have at that time) or better, I will already have some good lenses to go with it.

Of course if the dollar takes a big dump, which it looks set to do, then the lens will be over $1000 and it won't matter.....:lol:

I'm really hoping for Christmas, but with 3 kids there typically is not a whole lot left for the wife and I. ;)

(And I hope the dollar doesn't get to bad....)

Lol. Let's hope the dollar doesn't get THAT bad!

And good for you. :) Hope the 50mm comes sooner than later.

Too late. The dollar is already gone. It was devalued in "real economy" terms to $0.02 before this happened. They will try to pump it up again once or twice maybe but it's dust. Within 20 or 30 months there will be no such a thing as a US Dollar. And according to the heads of the major financial institutions and several high ranking CFR members this was all planned over 20 years ago with documents all along the way up until present explaining each step. Our main-stream news services don't focus on it but it's in the record if anyone cares to look and occasionally the news slips up a little and lets out some truth-bits. ;)

On the topic of that 50 being worth it or not I dunno... As a hobbyist I could see a 1.2 80mm or a 1.2 50mm on a crop-sensor for sure! But 50mm in 35mm equv. terms is fairly unuseful. In fact I think it's the most un-useful length there is. So it all depends... If my cam is a cropper and the 50 looks about like a 70 or 80 then that lens would ROCK and I'd not hesitate at all in forking out $400 for it - which is about right for a 1.4 and the same as I was paying for the same in 1970. If it's going to look like a 50 or 60 (little or no crop factor) then forget it... I'll take an 80mm 1.2 or 1.4 please. :)

Too late. The dollar is already gone. It was devalued in "real economy" terms to $0.02 before this happened. They will try to pump it up again once or twice maybe but it's dust. Within 20 or 30 months there will be no such a thing as a US Dollar. And according to the heads of the major financial institutions and several high ranking CFR members this was all planned over 20 years ago with documents all along the way up until present explaining each step. Our main-stream news services don't focus on it but it's in the record if anyone cares to look and occasionally the news slips up a little and lets out some truth-bits. ;)

Bifurcator speaks the truth.. As a major player in the Canadian Financial Industry I was invited to participate in these meetings roughly 20 years ago. While the minutes of the meetings have all been documented, they can only be viewed by contributing members who have had their left eye replaced with a digital copy that has the decoding algorithms . We are currently three months ahead of schedule. I have already cashed in most of my assets and have purhcased a large quantity of Saskatchewan Seal Skins.

Golly.. Seal skins... you ROCK bro! Most people are just buying precious metals. ;)

BTW, Canada has a funny system.. In the USA the congressional minutes are free to check out or download and most of the CFR minutes have either been leaked or are critiqued in books by various high ranking members. "Architects of Conspiracy" and "Tragedy and Hope" are two such but there are many more. No need for digital bionic eye replacements. :D

When the president of an organization like Apple for example, says they are going to raise their prices by 50% across the board for example, I tend to believe it. Why would this information be any different. To them it's just business.

Last edited:
Golly.. Seal skins... you ROCK bro! Most people are just buying precious metals. ;)

ooops.... you obviously haven't seen our precious metals plans scheduled to roll out in 2012.... stay tuned...

What's up? You being serious or having a jolly?

What's up? You being serious or having a jolly?

No no.... the plans are pretty much solidified and are being executed as anticipated...

there is one small loophole in which we are enduring to fix.... basically, there is one unique person that has been retained by the other government to prevent the crisis. We anticipate capturing and killing him, but it is written in the plan that he won't be killed instantly. Instead he will be held to final day and brought to the source location of the event. At the source location the master minds will educate him as to the grandeur of their plot in an effort of self congratulatory exhibitionism. With ten minutes remaining, an echo'd count down will begin on the loudspeakers from a rather cold sounding computerized female voice. Assuming the agent will be destroyed in the ensuing chaos, they will leave him tied and bound.

Some of the masterminds have suggested moderate risk in this plan, siting the chance of escape and decoding of the onsite new world order machine by the agent. This weekend there will be a think tank on how to absolve this risk. Some suggestions are to make sure the rope is tied really really tight, while others endorse the use of handcuffs and simply throwing away the key.

Most reactions

Back