Nipples

Christie Photo said:
I really believe our job more than merely to take photos. Aren't we expected to make portaits?

Absolutely, but we don't have to do it all the same way. Some of us like to pretty people up, and make them glamorous, and some of us find human imperfection interesting. :) I've turned down people who I felt would be better served by a different photographer, but then again many of my clients comment that the reason they chose me was for the natural look.

It would be easy to Photoshop out the dirt, mosquito bites, and ink pen tatoo in this portrait, but to me they are part of the story of being two years old.

0825.jpg

Dangit Matt. Every time I see her photo I think her image belongs on one of those vintage soap boxes. She's such a classic little beauty. :D

ksmattfish said:
...Some of us like to pretty people up, and make them glamorous...

Hmmm... I guess, once again, I'm just not expressing myself well. Now remember, we started this discussion addressing a more formal sort of portait (nipples). The type of work I'm talking about is not altering the image so much that the subject no longer resembles real life. Just GENERAL RETOUCHING. In fact, without seeing the original side by side, one might not realize any work had been done. Maybe I sould post a before and after so it's plain.

ksmattfish said:
It would be easy to Photoshop out the dirt, mosquito bites, and ink pen tatoo in this portrait, but to me they are part of the story of being two years old.

Absolutely! All of those elements help tell a story. (She's a doll, by the way.) Acne is no story that needs telling, at least not in a formal portrait. Nor are shadows unders eyes, (created by a photographer) nor are momentarily errect nipples.

I'll look for an image to post.

Thanks, Matt!

Pete

I wouldn't retouch it, since...
jocose said:
she is wearing a rather thin top
It was her choice and I'm no one to make the 'moral' decision, unless being told.

But that's just me. :D

Most reactions

Back