Nissan 350Z Shoot Check it out.

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by ScubaBrett22, Feb 24, 2012.

1. ScubaBrett22

ScubaBrett22 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I had a shoot on a 2008 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast on the 21st. I have recently and have been for my last 5 car shoots been shooting in RAW. I have a Nikon D3100 with a 18-55mm lens. For this shoot the owner wanted to shoot in a garage so we started at the top but there were to many cars but we did get some good shots. Then we moved to a open airfield to do the rest of the shoot. Here are my favorite pictures tell me what you think and if you have any advice on what I can do to make the pictures clearer and better please do tell!!

I also added my new watermark I made, and I removed myself from the reflection like always. No lighting setups or flash just natural light. One day I wish to do a shoot at night using studio lighting but I can't afford two portable lights and I also have no clue how to use them.

Garage:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Airfield:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Your use of light needs substantial work. In some of the shots the car is badly under exposed. Are you aware of the Active D-Lighting feature your D3100 has? (Page 85 of the D3100 user's manual)

Light Science and Magic, Fourth Edition: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting

In several of the shots there are distracting reflections in the car's body panels. A Circular Polarizing (CPL) filter can be used to help control the reflections.

B+W 55mm Circular Polarizer with Multi-Resistant Coating

One of the guidelines of visual image composition suggests that leaving room in the image frame for any implied movement to move into makes an image stronger. The human eye tends to look in the direction of that implied movement and you really want the eye to stay in the image frame. In your last image here, the viewers eye is lead by the implied movement of the car completely out of the photo.

Were the wheels dirty?

3. 2WheelPhoto

2WheelPhoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Your watermark is a huge distraction, does your client appreciate that or does it express professionalism?

4. ScubaBrett22

ScubaBrett22 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Okay I will doubble check the Active D and I will put my CPL filter on. No he powder coated the wheel himself.

The water mark is cause I had people taking my pictures and it also helps bring in more people when the owner gets a copy there is no watermark.

5. Automagic

Automagic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    1. Where's the '08 Z? Looks like an 03-05 to me.

2. Watermark is HUGE, a small one is just as visible.

3. Always point the wheels towards the camera.

6. 12sndsgood

12sndsgood No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    keep working at it, to me there is just nothing that draws me in to really look at the pics for more then a second. just look like a car in parking lot. what time in the day were these taken

7. Patrice

Patrice No longer a newbie, moving up!

You got paid for the shots you presented in this thread? Good for you! There is hope for the other aspiring pro photogs on this board. (I don't really know what a photog is but I see that word used quite a bit.)

• Like Like x 1
  8. cgipson1

cgipson1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    #2, #5 and #6 are BADLY underlit... and several others are also poorly lit! This was primarily due to positioning of the car.. and the photographer. Composition is poor also.. Oh, well at least they are relatively sharp! I don't think you should be charging until you develop better skills, though! But hey, why not.. right? Every one else is!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  9. cgipson1

cgipson1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    lol! ;)

10. thepaulreid

thepaulreid TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    first and 2nd to last are best for me.

11. Propsguy

Propsguy No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I see where you are going with these, but I do think there is room for improvement. Start with KmH's advice and go from there....

My main suggestion would be to take advantage of the fact that you have access to an airfield and shoot the car while it is moving.... none of the backgrounds in those images are particularly pleasing, so blur them out and get the car in action.... win/win situation.

12. trommie

trommie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

reminds me of this shoot
    Rossi’s Z33 Fairlady