Nitpickers Please....

JenLavazza

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jenlavazza.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a photo of my girls I want to get printed on canvas for my mom and mother-in-law for Mother's Day. Please nit pick away!! I want to make it as best as possible!! I was going for a dreamy look, thought it would look nice on canvas....too much??? I have a couple other shots too that were cute, but I liked this one best.

4546232070_d433c9c6a8_b.jpg

In general, I like it, though I do agree that it is a little too "dreamy" (orton?) and that dark tree in the background smack in the middle bugs me a bit. Cute scene, though.

Hi,
I'm not sure what action you used on the photo, but yes, IMO it is too much. You lost a lot of detail. The action is causing blown out areas that I can pretty much say were not in the original.

When you use an action like this, which looks a whole lot like Lord of the rings, or return of the king, or one of those, let the action run, and then make a dupe layer on the action. Paint back in at whatever opacity you want to bring back details. It can still be fantasy, but you don't want your highlights to suffer.

Pretty comp though. Very sweet.

Better Yes, but I'd still back it way off of the kiddos. Also maybe an edge sharpen.

Hi,
I'm not sure what action you used on the photo, but yes, IMO it is too much. You lost a lot of detail. The action is causing blown out areas that I can pretty much say were not in the original.

My first thought was the same... but then I thought about the media she is going for. Specifically, canvas.

Since we are viewing the image on an illuminated computer monitor, the image is going to look blown out, but once she gets it on a flat matte canvas, not pure white, cavans the colors will balance themselves out.

I think the first of the two will work out better in print.

Don't forget that there will be some quality lost given the fact that you are going to be printing on canvas ... take that into consideration as well.

Hi,

My first thought was the same... but then I thought about the media she is going for. Specifically, canvas.

Since we are viewing the image on an illuminated computer monitor, the image is going to look blown out, but once she gets it on a flat matte canvas, not pure white, cavans the colors will balance themselves out.

I think the first of the two will work out better in print.

A weekly calibrated monitor will help that. I also calibrate to my printers.

Don't forget that there will be some quality lost given the fact that you are going to be printing on canvas ... take that into consideration as well.

And that is exactly why he needs to sharpen the crap out of it.

I think it's great and I like the softness. I feel like it slopes downward from right to left though (edge of patio and hill slope in background). I'm not sure if all of it is due to surroundings or if there's a tiny bit of camera tilt too.

Jen, you told us to NIT PICK your Mother outlaw will LOVE THIS IMAGE ... it's a cute shot and she will NEVER notice the stuff that we are picking up on.

Tilt is the setting :( If I straighten the horizon the trees are tilted.

I tilted a little so the hill in the back is less noticeable and the kids seem to look straighter to me. I maybe tilted it 3 degrees.. very subtle.

JenLavazzakids2.jpg

...Then I played with some brightness levels and tried to get more detail in the foreground.

JenLavazzakids.jpg

Just my take, you'll probably hate both of my edits. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back