No Country For Old Men

I think it's thoroughly overrated, particularly the ending which, for the record I don't dislike because I don't "get it." I get it just fine.

I felt that it was unnecessarily monotonous, as if time were slowing as the movie progressed. The same things kept happening over and over, it just took them longer and longer to happen.

I thought it was very good. Not sure if it was the "best", but still I liked it quite a bit.

it's not a bad movie, i liked it, but the coen brothers have made better films. the big lebowski being my favorite, but that's another genre of course.

I liked it a lot.

I really liked the way it was filmed and loved the way they depicted the wide openness of Texas.

One of the cleverest films I´ve ever seen. Particularly if one has read the books of Cormack McCarthy, the repetition, the monotony, the matter-of-factness, very well presented here, become the message...that is the pointlessness of trying to understand the world he (the old sherrif) is struggling with. This became more powerful by the avoidance of Hollywood clichés which usually over-explain thus weakening storylines: we meandered uncertainly yet on the edge all the time, not having any clue what was going to happen next, and eventually the "climax" where the main "hero/anti-hero" character is found shot...so suddenly just presented that it was an even bigger shock, and then the evil dude going on, so unstoppable that evilness becomes much darker and more present than ever. We are returned to the surreality once more by the last mumblings of the old sherrif thinking about a dream he once had of his father. Perhaps his father was able to understand the world as it was in his time, but the son, in our time, can have no hope of doing this. Perhaps the same could be true for us.
This is the only film I have watched 3 or 4 times in a few weeks, since years...!

Put it another way...if nothing else, this film beat the usual clichés hands down.

One of the cleverest films .....

....Put it another way...if nothing else, this film beat the usual clichés hands down.

Interesting review!
I watched it and I enjoyed it pretty much (the intentional monotony just gave more suspense to the plot). Although I do think the ending was a bit too abrupt A friend who's read the book says that the ending fits perfectly in the book. The actors (esp. Javier Bardem) are really good.
I can't say it's the best but definitely one of the most interesting films of the last year.

I actually liked "Gone baby gone" better. But it was still a watch worthy movie.

I actually liked "Gone baby gone" better. But it was still a watch worthy movie.

I thought "Gone Baby Gone" was a great movie. "No Country..." bored me. Why did the guy on the side of the road let the bad guy put that thing to his head and kill him? I don't know about you, but I'm not about to just stand there and let that guy stick that thing to my head.

Great movie! That's all.

Most reactions

Back