No hope left

Maxx640

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
escape.jpg

Shot in Prague this summer. I converted this to grayscale and played with the curves. What do you think?

Max

I think with shots like that, you better tell the story.

Ok, shall I invent one or tell the boring truth!

I'll go for the truth: I was walking around in the center of Prague, when I came across this wax model in a dark little corner. There were a few tourists but no one noticed it, they were all walking by (shops attract a lot of attention). It caught my eye and I had a closer look. It seems to be a piece of street art, but there was no indication or signature. It looked so real so I took a shot of it. That's about it.

If I have to tell a story, that means that the shot is no good. When you look a a picture it should convey feelings without explanation and stand for itself.

I think it is a wonderful shot for several reasons.
First the 'look' matches the content very well and it gives a timeless look to t.
Second, the composition is great. The horizontal line and textures of the building establishes everything and contrasts nicely with the small paving of the street.
The window and person is centered but the composition within that small spot is dynamic within itself.
The content is so clear but mysterious at the same time that it suggests a lot but states nothing.

The only thing I might try is a slightly tighter crop at the same aspect ratio to increase the impact of the man in the window.

This is a real keeper.

Ok, shall I invent one ...

If I have to tell a story, that means that the shot is no good. When you look a a picture it should convey feelings without explanation and stand for itself.

That's hogwash.

This shot stands well on its own and with the background info. The awkward, centered composition works well too.

Before I read the background I thought, "Blind man with no sense of direction, living in a basement trying to find last can of soup on shelf."

Actually, my thoughts were a little more dark, but either way, fine shot.

I don't mean the photo itself needs to be explained, just how you got the shot. It's just something you don't see everyday.

Ok, I see for the explanation. I thought the photo, sorry.

I like your version Abraxas, it's poetic. A friend said: plummer working on the water system (down to earth) and an other: there is no room left in Czech prisons, so people who catch robbers can keep them at home :lol: He has been in the basement for a few years and has enough!

I am going to have this printed I think, I'll have to open a new subject on the forum to ask for help: it's one of my (very) rare digital shots, I've never printed digital.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back