No "real" experience, camera died new baby coming need advice/help

FTLOSM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am a camera novice, owned a nikon coolpix L11 till it finally stopped working recently, wife is having a baby soon, so want to replace the camera (below is some guideline info).

Compact is NOT important, more interested in the camera performing (yet not being too hard to operate for me).

Most pictures we would be taking would be indoor within 15 feet range, (baby, family gatherings etc) no need for something with amazing zoom or anything like that, just like our baby shots to turn out NICE (i think its a blessing maybe that the nikon died recently), no matter what I did to that simple, normal mode, tried to adjust things, the pics always looked blah at best.

Would like to stay under $500 if possible, i know I can get another point and shoot but the pics from that L11 never impressed me.

When our first daughter was born a friend had taken some shots of the baby with her bigger camera (i have no idea what it was) but the prints she gave us copies of were just awesome, i would love to find a camera that gives great shots (looked professional vs point and shoot picture wise), no big shadows, red eye etc. We have grown apart since then and can't find contact info (both of us have moved since then) or I would just ask her what her camera was.

If I walk into a local photo store at the mall I could easily be oversold and will admit most specs and info would go right over my head, so based on the basic info above has anyone got any good suggestions for me to read up on any certain models?

Bill

Last edited:
Never used a g9, but i did use my brothers s5 to take pics at his Daughters 1st bday. I did not like the s5 one bit, it just felt weird.

On the other hand a coworker of mine just got a canon SX110 IS. She asked me to show her how to use it so I read the manual while I was supposed to be working and played with it for an hour or so before I showed her anything. I was very pleased with it, If I were going to get a P&S I would seriously consider the SX110 IS its cheap and got some decent reviews on the canon digital forums.

I have and use the S5 it is wonderful but not good for indoor pictures if you do not intend on using the flash.. it has noise issues...
Most all my new stuff on my Fotki page I have taken with my S5 it is everything I want in a camera for outdoor shooting..
I think the G9 is a good recommendation but that shutter scares me, I lost a camera with that shutter to a manic sand episode... :(

before i got my "real" camera (canon 40d), i had a kodak easy share z812is and i have to say, it's a great camera. it has manual functions too and also takes great video. less than $300. i would still definately recommend that camera.

Thanks for the suggestions, I did look quite a bit at the canon site today and looked at the G9 along with the A650 IS (both in my price range).

Did the "compare" thing on cannons site between these two cameras and seems like i would lean towards the G9 for these reasons, rechargable battery pack & the larger 3 inch lcd (just bigger easier to see).

Showed wife a printout of both she liked the all black G9 (shes just going on looks tho) not features hehe.

Bill

Last edited:
Wife did point out one thing in our next camera i didn't think about, she sells homes and would like to be able to take a nice wide angle type shot of rooms (makes them appear larger in pictures in print).

The camera would mainly be mine for family and baby stuff, but would be cool too if i could get a special wide lens or something to add to it for those kinda shots down the road (is that even possible with a g9?).

Bill

Personally I'd go the new Nikon D90, the basic pack comes with a decent lens and it can also do video which isn't too bad quality. Well worth having a look at it.

Most reactions

Back