No Time To Learn Gotta Wingit Here Please Advise....

HA!!!!!!!!!
Don't worry I told the boss whut yall said about that ugly ass old couch, she didn't say nuttin which usually means "well alright but I don't like it...."

Maybe I should try to figure out this green screen thing I bought..........

Maybe I should try to figure out this green screen thing I bought..........

Gaaaah no don't do that! Green screens (chroma-key) has it's own set of problems and takes time to learn.

Put some distance between your subject and everything in the background (never against a wall -- there are some guidelines for when a wall is ok, but you have 4 days (or is 3 by now) so no time to be technical.) The green screen will be a disaster.

Simple indoor lighting would involve using a POWERFUL flash (e.g. SB-600, 700, 900, etc.) and tilting the flash-head up so that it points at a "white" ceiling (and preferably not a very high ceiling) so that it can bounce the ceiling and create a large soft diffuse white light. Leave the camera in "P" (program) mode.

I'd forget about the extra lighting. Extra lights are probably just going to complicate things. Ideally they should be "flash" (not continuous) and synchronized to the camera flash. Extra flashes can be a problem since the camera flash shoots in Nikon iTTL mode -- and that fires a "pre-flash" to test the exposure before it fires the flash to take the real shot. If the other flashes don't work with the same system, then they can fire for "pre-flash" and miss the real flash. You could put the flash into manual mode so it wont fire a pre-flash but that would mean you'd need to understand how to set the flash power... and we're back to the problem of only 4 days to learn. There are ways around all of these issues but it would involve acquiring the right gear and learning to use it and, as you said, you don't have time.

One can only hope this photographer she hired is decent.

Well at this point I dont even want to pull the thing out, I learned a whole lot just in this thread mostly about what not to do which is everything I was planning on doing, so I'm just at where I'm at, don't know a thing, don't have the right light to do it right, don't know how to adjust for the discrepancy.

I think I may just do some outdoor shooting where the light is natural or something. Thanks for all the advice, warnings, nah says, opinions on fashion, encouragement and conversation!

Gaaaah no don't do that! Green screens (chroma-key) has it's own set of problems and takes time to learn.

^THIS! Green Screen = BAD IDEA! Especially at your level of experience.

Seriously... if you can return those lights... do it! Get flashes instead...

This very short video shows how to take a good outdoor portrait. Even without the big zoom, the fundamentals are easy to apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't read all of this, so forgive me if this has been covered:
how much are you spending on that light system and extras to do this? Wouldn't it be easier, cheaper and wiser to hire a wanna be photographer off craigslist who will do it for peanuts? Granted you aren't going to get high end, but you can't learn this in a few days either and a newbie off CL will probably have more experience than you can gain in the time allotted.

how much are you spending on that light system and extras to do this? Wouldn't it be easier, cheaper and wiser to hire a wanna be photographer off craigslist who will do it for peanuts? Granted you aren't going to get high end, but you can't learn this in a few days either and a newbie off CL will probably have more experience than you can gain in the time allotted.

Why are you bringing reasonable thoughts and good ideas into this thread??? Have you not been paying attention? Do you not realize how badly this has devolved? We're over 50 posts in, and you're offering sound advice. STOP IT! Now is the time for cheap shots and nonsensical, or at the very least, tangential, remarks!

everyone knows that by post thirty everything goes goofy around here.

Awe yall being too dang critical for not even reading the thread!
:cheers:
I'm the only one here who is supposed to NOT know what in the doowahzie I'm talking about and now yall are competing with me in my own Kingdom!

I AM the KING of Amateur photographer IDIOTS, I state my claim NOW and just TRY and take it from me!

BOW TO THE KING!!! :hail::hail::hail::hail:

I'm sending back the camera, this hobby sucks, and God forbid actually trying to make a living with one of these when you are such an KING Of IDIOTS like ME!

But Im keepin the lights and muslim props, they are parts of my past, a stunning delivery of dazzling images from around the back yard!!!!
They are my trophies, and the KING of IDIOTS needs his trophies TOO!

Say What You Will I'm Still Winning!!!!!!!! :p

3 days, 1,500 shots and I got three I would'nt throw out of bed......
To hell with the wedding I'm going camping.................

Off to a good start for a KING!!!!!!!!! hehehehehe

$dove1.jpgView attachment 19296$wasp.jpg

Why are you bringing reasonable thoughts and good ideas into this thread??? Have you not been paying attention? Do you not realize how badly this has devolved? We're over 50 posts in, and you're offering sound advice. STOP IT! Now is the time for cheap shots and nonsensical, or at the very least, tangential, remarks!

Well, in that case... How about... hmmmmm. Well....

Yeah, I got nothing.

It's been a LONG weekend

I appreciate the advice about sending things back the points in much better directions folks. Listen, to me this is like doing a big belly flop into the pool, these peripherals mean nothing to me in terms of value monetarily, even though I sho aint rich. The way I look at it, they can be used, and if I just want to learn how, I can. So they don't bother me sittin there.
I know a heck of a lot about light thanks to you folks that I didn't and directions to read in and make my purchases better but for now I have plenty to work with so I'm a happy idiot!
(That's the KING of idiots to YOU!) hehehehehe

So far I've learned that exposure is important but it's really nothing auto cant handle hehehe

Then there's depth of field but again that's nothing auto focus cant handle hehehe

Hell I'm still at just trying to hold the damn thing still yall be patient I is a good learner and someday yall will all hail the great king of idiots when he finally pulls off a decent shot!

Jesus Christ dude..

Just keep it simple and bounce your SB 400 off the ceiling.

LOL this man speaks the truth , a very vital and simple tool, if you do not know what you are doing with all the equipment i wouldn't suggest using it personally.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back