What's new

Non Nikon Speedlights and Nikon CLS?

Vespa

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 2, 2011
Messages
63
Reaction score
1
Location
Carmel, Indiana
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Will a off brand speed lights work with the Nikon CLS? I have a SB900 but don't have the money for another nikon speed light right now, will a off brand speed light work with the system? I want a multiple light system so I am looking for ideas for a wireless and portable system.Thanks
 
Sell the SB-900. With the proceeds buy 3 Vivitar 285HV Auto Professional Flash

Two of these radio trigger sets: StudioHut 4 channel Wireless Radio Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Kit for Canon EOS, Nikon, Olympus & Pentax Flashes with 2 Receivers

And this light stand kit Impact Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit

All of that is what I often use.

Nikon CLS Commander mode can only talk to the SB-600, SB-800, SB-700, or SB-900. It can't talk to older Nikon speedlights.

Many 3rd party speedlights can be triggered by the flash of light from anoterh speedlight, but when using Nikon's iTTL and Commander mode the CLS fires pre-flaswhes that would trigger those other speedlights prematurely.

CLS is pretty much limited by range and to line of sight and, while radio triggering has 5 times the range and a radio signal can go through walls.

I sold all my Nikon speedlights. I had 6 SB-800's and 4 SB-600's
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom