noob, help please

joemarried

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all, im using a Sony A230 DSLR.
I was asked to take some pics at a company event, and for some reason i couldnt get it right, some pictures had only select objects in focus(i was using auto focus), while others appear as if they were taken with a mobile phone.
It was an indoor event at a restaurant.
I had the iso on 400, 1/160, f5.6

just want to learn so any feedback is welcome.
Ive seen how some people comment here though. please keep it constructive ladies and gents.lol:lmao:
dsc06776q.jpg

Last edited:
Were you using auto or manual?

Crappy pop-up flash?

Sent from Erics iPhone! (2) Nikon D300 50mm 1.4, 17-55 2.8, 70-200 2.8VRII, 24-70 2.8, 85mm 1.4, (2) SB900

Focusing in low light conditions is difficult with most low to mid range DLSRs. Your shot is f5/6, shot that should give you a reasonable DoF. You could use manual focus and set your focus to a known distance then stand that far from your subject. This is only useful in some circumstances though.

Also, you are using on-board flash? That will have an unprofessional appearance. Not sure for your camera but there should be AF assist options for your camera. Have a look in your manual; there might be something else you can turn on to get better focus.

Indoor photography is difficult without using additional flash. I would suggest if this will be an ongoing project for you is to invest in some off camera flashes.
As far as focus is concerned, with the additional flashes you will be able to speed your shutter up alittle more to sync max, lower your iso and place your aperture more around 7.1 to 8, This should clear up the focus. Move your subjects to an area that is not clutter or has people moving in and out of it.

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it. I will be investing in an external flash because this pop up flash is not doing a good job. I will consult the manual too for extra settings regarding focus

Most reactions

Back