Noob here: Need help chosing between 2 cameras. Thanks.

jamigre

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
well being that im moving from my point and shoot camera to a SLR I was wondering if you guys could reccomed between these two cameras as they are the ones that I am predominantly looking at.

Canon EOS Elan 7N

and

Nikon N80

theyre both around 400 bux, even thought the cannon is a bit more expensive. Additionally, as I understand, once you get lenses from one company, they will not work with a camera from another company, say canon lens on a minolta body.... is this correct. Thanks.

Oh and please refrain from recomending cameras that brech the USD $500.oo price ceiling I have set for myself. Thanks.

-edit-
I should also stress that I have absolutely no desire to get a digital camera.

I'd recommend this.

It's about $100 more than the 7N and gives you eye control focus which IMO is the coolest, handiest feature yet. The one in the link comes with a 28-105mm lens. All for under $500.

Yeah I saw that, but what does eye control focus do exactrly? I was speaking with an amateur photographer who said that if you have either a +/- dioptic, you simply set the focus to your prescription and that it's predominantly for the purpose of not wearing glasses when using teh camera. I presume this was not a correct assessment.?

the diopic isnt the same as eye control.

eye control is the camera sensing where your looking at thru the lens and it actually focuses on that area for you.

thats a badass camera, and my choice too.

md

I had an Elan 7e with the eye control. It is a cool feature, but almost totally useless unless maybe you are into sports photography and other high speed stuff. Even then its usefulness is debatable. The cam itself is a very nice cam, so if u get it you won't be disappointed, but that feature according to most is useless.

great, thanks, I personally dont think it's something that I would necessarily need. I'm thinking mostly about doing urabn environments, nature, and some psychodelic stuff. but by all means you guys ahve been very infomrative, the nikon is looking less and less appealing by the post.

That cam is very nice, i just think the eye control is more a gee whizz feature then a feature that one would use all the time. Whether you get it with the eye focus or not, its a damn fine camera platform.

I am a Canon fan myself, but i think he would be quite happy with the Nikon as well. The Nikon has a built in spot meter, which is something the Canon lacks. If your going to get serious into your photography, (especially B&W) then a spot meter will be very useful. Buying a good one separetely would run at least 100 dollars.

Also with the Nikon you have the ability to use any Nikon lense whether it be the newer more expensive auto focus, or the older nice manual lenses. There is more versatility in the Nikon and should be alittle cheaper for you. The ability to use older lenses may save you money.

I happened to buy Canon because i eventually wanted to get a DSLR and at the time, Canon was the only company that offered a decent one for a good price. The Nikon DSLR's are out now, so if i had to do it over again i prolly would have swung towards the Nikon because of its flexibility.

I am a Canon owner and i love it. I am sure that i would have loved the Nikon as well.

What it comes down to is your personal choice, either camera will do everything you want and much more. Which platform you decide on is entirely up to you.

1. Go to a camera store
2. Hold both cameras in your hands and play with them.

3. The one that shouts "I Feel Good" is the one to buy.

lol

DocFrankenstein said:
Back to topic:

Should he get a Nikon or a Canon camera?
It seems like your life consists merely of trolling message boards to continue this debate as if it really matters that much. :roll:

voodoocat said:
DocFrankenstein said:
Back to topic:

Should he get a Nikon or a Canon camera?
It seems like your life consists merely of trolling message boards to continue this debate as if it really matters that much. :roll:
Yes it does.

Do you enjoy analyzing people whose life consists of merely trolling message boards to continue this debate is if it really matter as much. :roll:

Oh... right :shock: :lol:

I'm sure voodoocat understands that I'm not serious. I'll stop.

Most reactions

Back