Noob looking for best $300-400 DSLR

wumpus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I recently have been more and more interested in photography, and figured it was time to get a half-decent camera for once. I have a pretty good amount of technical knowledge and should be able to at least eventually figure out how to use a damn camera properly lol.

I was thinking of picking up a used/new DSLR in the 300-400 price range, but was wondering which models i should be looking for and which to avoid. My knowledge of camera brands and models is almost non-existent, at the moment they are almost all the same to me :lol:

If anyone has any recommendations, it is greatly appreciated!

I don't think you'll find a new one in that price range. Even used, you're proabably looking at an entry level camera a few years old. But those are certainly great to learn on. Anything Nikon or Canon is a fairly solid place to start.

There's a used Nikon D3000 with a 18-55 for $400 in the Buy/Sell thread on it. Could be a *decent* one to start with.

There's a used Nikon D3000 with a 18-55 for $400 in the Buy/Sell thread on it. Could be a *decent* one to start with.

TBH, it's not by this days standards. It's got a CCD sensor, and it's an entry level body. It's quite undesirable, especially for $400 bucks.

You could get a used Canon Rebel XSi w/ a kit lens online for around $400, and that would come with a CMOS sensor. As well as any Canon lens you buy for it will Autofocus, whereas that isn't necessarily true on the D3000.

so its looking like im going to have to spend more than 400 bucks....I suppose this can happen.

I was really kind of intending on buying a few years old camera off of a forum or something...Im not even what you might call a hobbyist yet....dont need anything nice lol

as far as lenses go...Im going to be shooting mostly medium distance stuff, like 15-65 feet maybe. Not going to be zooming in pretty much at all, I know that much.

and thanks to flatflip for linking that article!

If you can find a D40, I'd snag it. It's got semi special powers also shared with the D70, that you might find useful later.

If you wanna go this route, Adorama has a refurbished kit with the 18-55 for $419.
If you can find a D40, I'd snag it. It's got semi special powers also shared with the D70, that you might find useful later.

No sir. "Nikon D40 6.1 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera 3X Zoom Kit Outfit, with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor Lens - Refurbished by Nikon U.S.A."

I have a Canon T3 and they run on Amazon for around $420, free shipping with an 18-55mm kit lens.

http://www.adorama.com/INKD40KR.html

i
s that the one?

I may be getting that once I get the cash to spend....

found a few like new ones on another forum, also look good. Only 350 too....a canon rebel XSi w/ a 50mm lens for 350

also found a D3000 body for 350 as well

EDIT;

also, how is the D40X any worse or less desirable than the regular D40?

The D40x had a mechanical shutter which is limited to a flash sync speed of 1/200. The D40 has an electronic shutter which is arbitrarily limited to 1/500, but from what I've read, can even sync at 1/1000 with non TTL sources.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back