"Noob" question: D90 or D5100

I think that for 90% of consumers who end up with 2 lenses forever, the 18-55mm and 55-200mm, the D5100 is a great match. The light weight of the body and lenses is considered by most normal users to be a positive, unlike most the people on this site who are masochists and prefer to carry around a minimum of 10 lbs of gear when going out :)

The issue is if you plan to buy more specialized lenses in the future... for instance macro, some off-brand lenses like the well reviewed Tokina 100mm only comes without a motor, so you are stuck with MF or paying an extra $600 for the Nikon version. If you are looking at a 50mm you have the get the AF-S version, which is about a $100 more. Looking at wide angle, the popular Tokina 11-16mm is an extra $100 or so for the AF-S version. No focusing with other popular older lenses, like the 80-200mm. So that extra money for AF-S lenses adds up quick.

guys i changed my mind. after having d5100 and shooting with it, i learned a lot. i learned so many things and now im interested to invest on cheap lenses thats competitive enough like the new lenses in the market today. d5100 is a nice camera, no question about it. but after a few months of using it, i started to realize that i can also take nicer photos with older lenses the reason why i sold my d5100 few days ago and got a d90. now i have d90. i am not saying that i dont like d5100. d5100 takes amazing shots. i just switch to d90 because i want to buy those cheap old lenses out there that can produce the same image like the high end camera and lense. i also realized that i dont need an expensive camera and lense to make amazing shots. i need the d90 with AF motor built it so i can buy those cheap quality lenses. i saw this cheap 24mm af-d nikkor lense on ebay and im planning to buy that. that would be my prime lense. then i'll buy a zoom lense later. ill get a cheap af nikkor zoom lense of course. af-s lenses are still expensive. i mean most of them. also, when i was googling around i saw reviews of older lenses that are capable of taking amazing shots. for me, its not just the camera + me. its the camera + me + the right lense. so i decided to get the d90 and buy cheap old lenses later. i really dont care if the lense is old, i like to experience it. so i bought a used d90 with 4k actuations on ebay for $400. i was lucky.

i chose d90 because i think i will benefit more with this camera in the future + i save money on lenses. old but amazing lenses. the savings i made will go to buying a nice pair of shoes. ^_^

guys i changed my mind. after having d5100 and shooting with it, i learned a lot. i learned so many things and now im interested to invest on cheap lenses thats competitive enough like the new lenses in the market today. d5100 is a nice camera, no question about it. but after a few months of using it, i started to realize that i can also take nicer photos with older lenses the reason why i sold my d5100 few days ago and got a d90. now i have d90. i am not saying that i dont like d5100. d5100 takes amazing shots. i just switch to d90 because i want to buy those cheap old lenses out there that can produce the same image like the high end camera and lense. i also realized that i dont need an expensive camera and lense to make amazing shots. i need the d90 with AF motor built it so i can buy those cheap quality lenses. i saw this cheap 24mm af-d nikkor lense on ebay and im planning to buy that. that would be my prime lense. then i'll buy a zoom lense later. ill get a cheap af nikkor zoom lense of course. af-s lenses are still expensive. i mean most of them. also, when i was googling around i saw reviews of older lenses that are capable of taking amazing shots. for me, its not just the camera + me. its the camera + me + the right lense. so i decided to get the d90 and buy cheap old lenses later. i really dont care if the lense is old, i like to experience it. so i bought a used d90 with 4k actuations on ebay for $400. i was lucky.

i chose d90 because i think i will benefit more with this camera in the future + i save money on lenses. old but amazing lenses. the savings i made will go to buying a nice pair of shoes. ^_^

Hopefully next week you don't decide you want a D300 :) JK, congrats on the newest camera and have fun w/ photography! Don't spend to much time worrying about it, all the cameras of the last few years are great.

Hopefully next week you don't decide you want a D300 :) JK, congrats on the newest camera and have fun w/ photography! Don't spend to much time worrying about it, all the cameras of the last few years are great.

i think i'll take care of my d90 for a long time. this is it. i dont want to spend so much money for this hobby. d90 and some of its accessories are cheap but can do the same job like the high end so yeah. this is it. i already got the nikkor 24mm 1.8d and it works well. im really glad.

khis5184
"this is it. i dont want to spend so much money for this hobby."

Ok and yay Right! I don't know how many times I said
"Just One More lens/body/flash/tripod/bag/Slice of Pizza!' :mrgreen:
It's an Addiction I Tell Ya!... There is No Hope! & No End!

But congrats and yep the D90 has kept me going last 3 years and still hanging coming up on 67k clicks.
And won't be surprised if your D90 keeps ya go'in fer the next 3 years. As is quite capable camera!

@orb9220
what are your lenses? can you recommend a cheap but nice lense? i need 1 medium zoom lense. maybe 55-200mm vr? what do u think?
i already have 28mm as prime. i just need 1 more, a medium zoom lense. and yes, i think i will stay with my d90 for a long time. this is it.

Last edited:
@orb9220
what are your lenses? can you recommend a cheap but nice lense? i need 1 medium zoom lense. maybe 55-200mm vr? what do u think?
i already have 28mm as prime. i just need 1 more, a medium zoom lense. and yes, i think i will stay with my d90 for a long time. this is it.

Came to the right guy about the 55-200vr. As is my main walkabout daily lens I use. Bought used on craigslist for $125. Shot thousands of images last 2 years with it and have 2 copies of this lens for backup purpose. And half my Getty Stock images are with that lens. So think it's pretty good for the price. I occasionally wish for 300mm but the 55-200vr is so light,compact and less obtrusive than the 70-300vr. And the 18-200 is just too many compromises with a high price tag. If preferring wider range the 18-105vr is outstanding and can be had for $250 used. Or a discontinued 18-70 for around $150 is a classic.

I prefer the longer more isolating subject style for my walkabout. Others may disagree and their opinions are just as valid. Comes down to preferred focal lengths for user. And there is never a wrong one. Just a wrong one for your style and your needs!

Last edited:
wow nice pictures. did u get those with the 55-200mm vr? amazing!
ill buy 55-200mm vr as my medium zoom lense. i think its a cheap nice lense.
did u edit those pictures using a 3rd party program (photoshop, lightroom)?

Yep using Lightroom 3.6 as Lightroom 4 is still too sluggish on my Dual Core 4gb Dual Monitors machine.
And 3.6 can be had relatively cheap on amazon.

My Desktop Working by Orbmiser, on Flickr

Many starting out put post editing skills on the back burner. When they should be developing post editing skills alongside learning camera. Post Editing skills are very important to final image results and takes the Image to the Next level!

I've shot both, the D90 is better. However, they are two different pricepoints, so you'll have to decide that for yourself.

Also, if the D7000 is within your range, I recommend that.

@tevo
what lenses can u recommend? im looking for cheap old ones that can produce a high end-like images.
i have cs5 photoshop extended with topaz. i also have lightroom 4 but i dont use it a lot. topaz is what i always use.
btw, i got these 3rd party programs for free. i tricked my pc so i can install these programs.

do u guys shoot in raw or jpeg? which is better?

Last edited:
A 50 mm 1.8 af-d is only about $120. Amazing lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back