Noob...

Salmah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone! :D

I'm Salmah, from Aus.
I have been into photography for a few years now, but my 'switching from auto to manual stage' has been taking quite a while....

Anyway, I'm hoping to connect with the rest of the photography community and get advice, tips, etc, etc etc!

Cheers :)

Welcome aboard. Looking forward to some of your shots

Welcome. You don't have to quit auto cold turkey. Nothing wrong with Aperture or Shutter priority. :1219:

Welcome! For me, I have to just jump right in and get my hands dirty if I want to learn something. I believe this hobby might just take awhile to " get ".

Welcome. For me manual is the logical process of simplification. Today's cameras are technology wonders, but trying to learn one thing while the camera is trying to second guess your intent is impossible. Even on manual there were menu options that still affected the final image. Turn off all the option until you can get as close to the basic exposure triangle as possible, then add back menu options as needed.

Welcome. You don't have to quit auto cold turkey. Nothing wrong with Aperture or Shutter priority. :1219:
Wait a minute, Are you telling me that the A & S on that dial thingy don't stand for Amateur and Student? I suppose you are going to tell me next that the P doesn't stand for Professional. :biggrin-new:

@Salmah Welcome to the forum. As others have said, shooting in manual is about understanding the exposure triangle. You need to learn what the compromises are that you will have to make with each portion of the triange to get the shot. Seldom do all the stars align perfectly where you aperture, shutter speed and ISO are exactly where you want them and your entire shot is completely and perfectly lit from foreground, subject, and background. Well not unless you are controlling the lighting as well. The easiest way I know is to pickup a camera, set it to manual, go shoot, come back, review, learn from your mistakes and repeat the process over and over until you have a good feel for the process.

I like to shoot in M mode in AUTO-ISO with my Nikon. I set the camera up before each day/scenario/situation. First in the AUTO-ISO setup menu, I set the slowest-allowable shutter speed, and I pick the Maximum-allowable ISO level that I am willing to go up to.

Then, when I am out shooting, I set the shutter speed I want, and the f/stop I want, and with the camera in Matrix Metering mode, in autofocus mode, and Manual exposure mode, the camera's metering system can "make it happen", and can raise or lower the ISO to deliver the right exposure level for the pre-selected speed and f/stop that I have chosen for the conditions and the creative effect I want.

This type of camera setup also allows me to use the EC, or Exposure Compensation system to lighten or darken my pictures, as desired. This type of camera metering and setup is often used by action shooters, or by people who understand that with modern sensor Nikon d-slr cameras, this is now, finally, a viable way to shoot. Ten years ago, or more, this was NOT nearly as viable a way to meter and shoot, because sensors had such a narrow window where the image quality was acceptable.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back