Noobie Help...

Rich_j93

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

Super new to this forum and film photography all together... I brought myself a Praktica Nova 2 off of Ebay for £10 as my avenue into film.
Got some really good shots with my first roll of film - this is great I though.

I'm now experiencing as problem where the photos seem to be laying over the top of each other and its very annoying. Wondering if anyone knew what was happening and what I could do about it? Or is it just because I have brought a cheap £10 camera from Ebay? See photos below, i mean i like the effect but they kind of ruin my subject shots.

I have also included one of my favourite shots that actually worked properly.

Thanks
RJ

Attachments

• CNV00017.JPG
    CNV00017.JPG
    340.1 KB · Views: 102
  • CNV00016.JPG
    CNV00016.JPG
    441.2 KB · Views: 99
  • CNV00006.JPG
    CNV00006.JPG
    870.4 KB · Views: 112
  • CNV00009.JPG
    CNV00009.JPG
    679.4 KB · Views: 133
I don't know why the camera is doing that, and considering the price you paid, might not be worth having it repaired.

Running dog is cute.

It is a "film advance" problem. Advancing the film to position a new blank frame is slipping, not full movement, not fully advancing, so you are getting double exposures.

It is a "film advance" problem. Advancing the film to position a new blank frame is slipping, not full movement, not fully advancing, so you are getting double exposures.

Do you know a solution to this problem?
Is it something i could do myself or take it into my local camera shop?

Thanks

There's typically a window which displays the frame number. If it is showing the film has been advanced to the next frame but you're getting the double exposure, the camera needs to be repaired. As noted, at the cost of the camera, there's not much reason to spend more money on this one. This is not a repair I would suggest you take on yourself.

Take it to a reputable repair shop and ask for an estimate of repair costs. This normally costs about $40-50 and the fee will be applied to any repairs you have done. If the estimate is higher than you want to put into the camera, they get to keep the troubleshooting fee.

Most shops will tell you upfront whether they expect a camera to exceed a reasonable repair cost. No shop wants to be tied down to a repair that is going to keep returning to their shop for other issues. $10 cameras can be a nightmare for a repair shop.

I don't have experience with this camera, but for 35mm film in general... make sure the film leader is fed into the take-up spool. I usually load the film but with the door still open, give it a wind and make sure it really is winding on. Then close the door, advance the camera a bit to get the exposed section of film leader onto the take-up spool and get fresh unexposed film onto the frame.

These problems can either happen because the film wasn't securely attached and on the sprockets. It could also happen because of poor gears in the camera which are slipping. If you are confident that you've correctly loaded the camera, then it's likely an internal camera problem and not worth fixing.

Do you know a solution to this problem?
Is it something i could do myself or take it into my local camera shop?

Thanks

I don't know an answer. Seems it could be one of two things.

1. Slipping in the advance lever or spool mechanism, spool simply mechanically slipping instead of turning fully.

2. Film not threaded right in camera, sprockets not engaging film sprocket holes well enough, allowing slippage. Or backing plate not holding film onto sprockets?

I'd guess examining the empty camera, watching, with finger lightly putting slight pressure on the sprockets while advancing the lever, might give some clue? Are the sprockets turning? Can they slip?

Film in film cartridge also has to be free to turn and unwind, not binding there.

Problem could be a reason the camera was sold inexpensively?

The horses in the pasture shot is excellent! I love that one, and it's a marvelous example of film not advancing properly. The running dog shot is a fine photo. In one way, I LIKE the way this camera makes these double/overlapped exposures. Fascinating results.

Thanks guys really appreciate the help.
I'm glad it seems to be down to camera error and not user. I was scared i was doing something wrong but i've checked my loading/unloading film technique, seems like the camera was cheap for a reason.

Thanks for the feedback on the photos also, shame not more of them came out correctly.

I'll attach a few more from the reel if your interested.

Attachments

• CNV00014.JPG
    CNV00014.JPG
    532 KB · Views: 88
  • CNV00008.JPG
    CNV00008.JPG
    519.1 KB · Views: 86
  • CNV00012.JPG
    CNV00012.JPG
    537.5 KB · Views: 106

Most reactions

Back