Northern lights over Maine

Crap can't post via phone anymore.

I promised you a "winner" rating, and you got it, for the first image. The second one looks a little muted, but I'm thinking that's because the aurora wasn't as strong. In all images, you can clearly see the Big Dipper on the left, and Capella (Alpha Auriga) just above the horizon at center right. The reflections in the pond, silhouetting the trees along the back, really make this image.

Nice shots. Agreed, the reflections really are nice to see. How close to real is this color? Not that it matters, just wondering

Nice shots. Agreed, the reflections really are nice to see. How close to real is this color? Not that it matters, just wondering

Spot on. Boosted a bit to make it pop against the surrounding.

I was surprised how much more colorful it was after 30 seconds. I attached a cell phone shot if my LCD.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    628.2 KB · Views: 166
Awesome photos !! I love the colors and everything else as mentioned.
Hopefully someday I can venture elsewhere to get shots like this.

Beautiful! Especially the first. Couldn't find a vantage point within a reasonable distance of home, so got nothin'.:blueface:

Wow....nice shot. Would love to see that in person some day.

I usually see aurora shots with green. How often do you see other colors. Is that purple and violet unusual?

Thanks all.

I thought they am were mostly green also but from all the photos I've seen from around me all that the purple tint.

The green is from oxygen atoms being pushed around in the lower atmosphere. Red comes from oxygen being stimulated higher up. Neutral nitrogen produces red/purple, and ionic nitrogen is blue. So the colours depend on how much radiation is penetrating into the atmosphere and stimulating the various atomic species.

Very very very nice. You should be proud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back