not good for you film users

luckydog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cracked-lenz.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The long-term survival of Ilford, one of the great names in black and white photography, has been thrown into doubt by the appointment of administrators at the 125-year-old group, following a collapse in demand for its traditional photographic products caused by the rapid growth in digital cameras.
Mark Byers, Malcolm Shierson and Les Ross, partners at Grant Thornton, have been appointed joint administrators of Ilford Imaging, parent of a group employing 1,500 staff. They have also been appointed joint receivers of Ilford Imaging UK.
Ilford suffered because it continued to concentrate on black and white photography, where it had a 60 per cent market share.
It was also slow to counter the digital cameras threat. The company is currently controlled by Doughty Hanson, the venture capitalists.
Ilford Imaging has two main manufacturing companies in the UK and Switzerland, and it is the UK operation, employing 740 staff at Mobberley, near Manchester, that is likely to face the biggest job losses.
Demand for black and white film and paper manufactured by the Manchester plant had been declining by 11 per cent a year over the last three years. Over the last seven months it had fallen by 26 per cent.
Ilford's high fixed-cost base made it unable to respond quickly enough to the drop in demand. It owes $75m (£41.3m) to a syndicate of banks led by UBS, Bank of Scotland, Morgan Stanley and JP Morgan Chase. Doughty Hanson wrote off its investment years ago.
Mr Byers said the Swiss operation, which focuses on an digital inkjet business, was unaffected by the planned insolvency appointments. The Swiss operation was "trading normally and is growing", said Mr Byers . . . who said that it had "cutting edge" technology ahead of Kodak.
Over the last four years Ilford had managed to reverse the long-term decline in its sales which grew 11 per cent, to $233m, in 2003. Although focusing increasingly on digital photography, it could not offset losses on traditional products.

Yeah, I've heard. Ksmattfish has a thread on it in the darkroom forum.

I'm actually not too worried. It is, after all, one division, and I am hopeful someone will be able to buy it and keep this one viable.

Hell, I can't believe Polaroid is still in business after the one-two punch of the digital age. But they are. :wink:

Ilford should have jumped on-board a little more and produced items digital friendly like paper and whatnot and shifting their product focus a little. You know Fuji and Kodak have got to be wining and dining the film scanner manufacturers like Minolta and Nikon and paper manufacturers have got to be doing the same with the likes of HP and Epson..........

Change sucks, but if you want to stay alive.........

Exactly. All good points. And Ilford definitely wants to stay alive, and they happen to have excellent films. I'm really hoping a more business-savvy buyer will snap up this division and make these moves, while keeping us film geeks supplied.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back