Not sure I am liking

luvmyfamily

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am not sure if I am liking this new "vintage photography phase." I have noticed a lot of photographers are using lightroom to make their images look like the 1960's or whenever color photo was introduced.

I'll be glad when the "over-HDR" fad goes in the same history books "selective coloring" now resides in

Yeah, I'm not a fan of HDR, I think it looks fake, like a painting but I do like selective color when used tastefully.

You are the artist. You decide. I have seen some amazing selective coloring. Why are you blaming lightroom?

I am not sure if I am liking this new "vintage photography phase." I have noticed a lot of photographers are using lightroom to make their images look like the 1960's or whenever color photo was introduced.

Oh yeah selective coloring is great when done right. I should've typed "over-selective color" too or such, I thought it was assumed =)

I like the vintage look.

have done it to a few of my film photos because we already had issues with scanning and dust etc... So I was halfway there anyway. Lol.

but HDR . Man, I just don't get it at all.

I was looking at someone's Flickr the other night. They had an entire set in a broke down decaying building. Every shot was amazing. But every one of them looked like a fake cartoon painting after HDR processing.

You are the artist. You decide. I have seen some amazing selective coloring. Why are you blaming lightroom?

Couldn't agree with you more. I think I must've said a lot on here that "it's in the eye of the beholder." You wouldn't believe how many friends I have that do not know anythiing about photography that literally ASK me to do selective coloring for them.

I like the vintage look.

have done it to a few of my film photos because we already had issues with scanning and dust etc... So I was halfway there anyway. Lol.

but HDR . Man, I just don't get it at all.

I was looking at someone's Flickr the other night. They had an entire set in a broke down decaying building. Every shot was amazing. But every one of them looked like a fake cartoon painting after HDR processing.

Once again, it is all in the eye of the beholder and preference on what you like. I have some photo friends that do all their photo's vintage and i have one friend who does ALL HDR. He even did a wedding in HDR...but that is what his client wanted. Preference being the key word here.

Colour photography began in the late 1800's and popular viable colour film was popular in the 1940's.........................

IMHO whatever a photographer does to his picture is his choice as long as he/she enjoys doing it.......

It all depends on the photo and what you are going for. I did a vintage job on my son's photo to see a resemblance between the 2 of us. After viewing the 2 I now need Maury. :)

It all depends on the photo and what you are going for. I did a vintage job on my son's photo to see a resemblance between the 2 of us. After viewing the 2 I now need Maury. :)
Now that is actually a cool idea. Saw something a few weeks ago where a little boy was wearing his
Dad's wedding tux. Every year, they took a photo of him until he was finally old enough to grow into it.....way cool....

When HDR is used with the intentions of the original design, some images are really brought out and in many case you cant tell between HDR and good clean adjustment layer processing in PS.

That being said - I do not use HDR at all, but like many styles and techniques, I do appreciate the technology being used.

As far as selective color - this can be done tastefully as well, but as mentioned, people just jump on it and......well.......you know.

HDR is great when you can't immediately tell it was HDR. If the software is available, people are going to slide sliders until all kinds of silly things happen, but that doesn't mean that's what the technique is best for or was designed for. A good HDR landscape, with 15 stops of dynamic range etc, is an awesome thing. It doesn't look like HDR, it just looks like an impossibly dynamic scene that defies physics by being exposed properly.

And I'll admit, I've done the vintage thing to some less-than-perfect shots at ISO6400 and stuff, because it makes it easier to cover up the editing. : )

When HDR is used with the intentions of the original design, some images are really brought out and in many case you cant tell between HDR and good clean adjustment layer processing in PS.

That being said - I do not use HDR at all, but like many styles and techniques, I do appreciate the technology being used.

As far as selective color - this can be done tastefully as well, but as mentioned, people just jump on it and......well.......you know.

I just looked at your website Joey and I personally like selective color. I love your photo of the couple, the lady wearing the mans shirt and in blue. That is a good example of selective color. had you not done selective color in this image, I would have not paid much attention to the lady wearing the oversized man's shirt. Love it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back