Not sure what's wrong..

MVPernula

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Heya!

Just got my sweet D7100 picked up and I love it already. I studied media 3 years ago, photography was one of those three, there I learned a bit about using manual among other things but generally the basics outside 'auto'.

I know ISO, shutter time, WB and the thing I've never said in english.. The thing that decides how much light gets into your camera.. The F thing. You know what I'm talking about. (classic "sorry english isnt my native language" :p)

And to me that's basically all I should have to know if I want to take a properly exposed picture of, well, anything right?

When taking a picture I'm at the middle of the slider. You know this thing:
- <----0----> +
And I know having it on + makes it brighter and - makes it darker.

But the fuzz is that even though I'm at the middle/0 it still gets VERY overexposed, and I cant really figure out why.

What am I missing guys? Have I gotten something backwards? Havent really been too much into photography lately, so I'm a bit rusty.

Thanks! :)

The "f-stop" is a ratio of the focal length divided by the aperture opening.

Written thus: f/1.8 for example.

The f stop changes as the aperture is changed.

f-number - Wikipedia

Check the "Exposure Compensation" and see if it is set to 0 - ZERO
or if it's +1.0 or something

I'll take a picture of the manual on this ...

..even though I'm at the middle/0 it still gets VERY overexposed, and I cant really figure out why.
I can't explain why. Your light meter may be wonky.

Make sure the exposure comp is set to zero.

Honestly, I'd suggest shooting with auto mode and study the f-stop, iso and shutter speed and try to recreate that in manual mode.

#10 to the right of the main release button
ExpCompensation1.jpg
ExpCompensation2.jpg

If you are shooting a scene with a lot of light-colored background the metering system is going to see that as middle-gray and underexpose the photograph. Likewise if the scene has a lot of dark background the metering system will overexpose the photograph.

If all you are doing is centering the meter then why bother with manual? All you are doing is performing the action manually that the camera would do automatically in one of the auto modes. You aren't compensating for anything, you aren't truly using manual mode, only doing what the camera tells you to do.

..even though I'm at the middle/0 it still gets VERY overexposed, and I cant really figure out why.
I can't explain why. Your light meter may be wonky.

Make sure the exposure comp is set to zero.

Honestly, I'd suggest shooting with auto mode and study the f-stop, iso and shutter speed and try to recreate that in manual mode.

#10 to the right of the main release button
View attachment 143140 View attachment 143141

Okay so using the EXACT same settings in Manual as Auto.
WB, Shutter speed, the f thingy (help me) and ISO- Gives me the correct brightness.. But the fuzz remains.

It's still nowhere near the slider, putting it at "0" makes it crazy bright.ÖKAJSGDRHAÖÄG

ASTRONIKON was right, I must've hit the button by accident. This really helped me, thanks!

for your other question ... the "f thingy" is the Aperture

This is the opening in the lens.
The lens, as examples:
AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
or
AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II

the "f/" identified how Open the lens can be.
For instance with the 18-55, at 18mm the maximum open the aperture can be is a number of 3.5. Whereas at 55mm t's 5.6
==> What Is Aperture? | Understanding Camera Aperture from Nikon from Nikon

The smaller the number, the larger the opening and the more light that is let through (also the shallower the depth of field). many times people will have a large aperture (small number) and the subject they are taking a photo of is Out Of Focus. This is a common problem on 50/1.8 lenses. ONe has to learn to use the Aperture to maintain focus of their subject.

Camera Exposure: Aperture, ISO & Shutter Speed

post an example.

This is the opening in the lens.
The lens, as examples:
AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
or
AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II

the "f/" identified how Open the lens can be.
For instance with the 18-55, at 18mm the maximum open the aperture can be is a number of 3.5. Whereas at 55mm t's 5.6
==> What Is Aperture? | Understanding Camera Aperture from Nikon from Nikon

The smaller the number, the larger the opening and the more light that is let through (also the shallower the depth of field). many times people will have a large aperture (small number) and the subject they are taking a photo of is Out Of Focus. This is a common problem on 50/1.8 lenses. ONe has to learn to use the Aperture to maintain focus of their subject.

Camera Exposure: Aperture, ISO & Shutter Speed
I basically know what it's about and how to use it, it's just the name that passed me.
I'm swedish and in my language you call it "bländare", so it was nowhere even near to be called the same!

post an example.
No need, it's solved! :)

I'm Swedish and in my language you call it "bländare", so it was nowhere even near to be called the same!
The translation for "bländare" comes out; "mixer" which is very strange.

You also have "stopp", which is very close to our English "stop". See above; f-stop is what I wrote in post #2.

No, not really. (see post #2 above)

The "f" thingy is the ratio (see post #2 above) of focal length divided by the aperture. (see post #2 above)

For reference please see post #2 above.

I'm Swedish and in my language you call it "bländare", so it was nowhere even near to be called the same!
The translation for "bländare" comes out; "mixer" which is very strange.

You also have "stopp", which is very close to our English "stop". See above; f-stop is what I wrote in post #2.

No, not really. (see post #2 above)

The "f" thingy is the ratio (see post #2 above) of focal length divided by the aperture. (see post #2 above)

For reference please see post #2 above.

I'm pretty sure @astroNikon understands what an f-stop is. But I'm positive that he was explaining in a way the OP would understand.

But yes...the aperture is a diaphragm in the lens that opens and closes depending on the f-stop desired for the exposure the user dialed in. I think...lol

I'm pretty sure @astroNikon understands what an f-stop is. But I'm positive that he was explaining in a way the OP would understand.
Precisely.
If I describe it as it is technically, most people eyes will glaze over when all they need is a simple explanation of how it affects how they take a picture.

'ye old acronym "KISS" comes to mind.

Right. We can use incorrect terminology because the OP is Swedish, and doesn't speak our language, so the wrong words really won't matter at all.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back