Not sure which camera to upgrade to. Suggestions?

I shoot Canon, but I would strongly recommend Pentax. What type of photography you wanting to do? THat will tell us what kind of lenses you will be looking for in the future. Canon offers some fantastic fast primes. If supertelephoto bird/wildlife photography is in the future, stick with Canon. Nikons supertelephotos are grossly overpriced. Nikon has a few nice lenses as well, but Canon offers 4 versions of the 70-200. ITs all up to you, but look at the complete lens lineups.

FOr example, I started with a clean slate as well. Not committed to any brand. I knew I wanted to eventually shoot wildlife with a 600mm lens. Canon made sense. Perhaps you want to use a lot of dedicated flashes, in this case, Nikon has a better system.

Canon 40D in original box 30k shutter actuations- 425 GBP
Canon Digital Photography Forums

Canon 40D in original box 5900 actuations - 485 GBP

BNIB 450D kit 0 actuations - 500 GBP

450D 5 months warranty about 5k actuations - 420 GBP

Personally, the 40D with 5900 clicks is an amazing deal. Very sturdy camera with some great features and it handles amazingly well. I wouldn't ever shoot with a rebel series ever again unless that was a last option.

Ha ha...talk about ass backwards...

I shoot Canon, but I would strongly recommend Pentax. What type of photography you wanting to do? THat will tell us what kind of lenses you will be looking for in the future. Canon offers some fantastic fast primes. If supertelephoto bird/wildlife photography is in the future, stick with Canon. Nikons supertelephotos are grossly overpriced. Nikon has a few nice lenses as well, but Canon offers 4 versions of the 70-200. ITs all up to you, but look at the complete lens lineups.

FOr example, I started with a clean slate as well. Not committed to any brand. I knew I wanted to eventually shoot wildlife with a 600mm lens. Canon made sense. Perhaps you want to use a lot of dedicated flashes, in this case, Nikon has a better system.

Or body? Out doors in conditions that require weather sealing leaves the OP with little choice in the way of entry level cameras that have complete weather sealing. But if they're shooting sports, they don't want a camera that shoots at 1.5fps while shooting raw. I think they'd probably want a body that shoots at 6.5fps.

And if they're planning on being a working pro and doing a lot of commercial work, a line of cameras with a full frame option or even looking at medium format would be a lot better than a manufacture that doesn't offer full frame options or has a tiny tiny sensor in the body.

The EF-S mount is for 1.6x crop sensor cameras which is 90% of Canon's line-up (as you know).

You know what they say about assumptions.

You know what they say about assumptions.
:)

All of the Rebels (XS, XSi, XTi, T1i), the 40D and the 50D are all 1.6x sensor cameras.

The 1D is a 1.3x camera, and EF-S lenses don't work on this body either.

The 5D and 1Ds are full frame cameras and the EF-S lenses don't work on these bodies.

Now see there you go. Learn something new everyday. You've come a long way Tharmsen!

Cheers for all the input people.

I've been looking at cameras today, and i must say, i've fell in love with the Nikon D90. The robustness, weight and comfort of the camera just "fits". I'm 6'2" and the Canon 450D just felt a bit like a toy in my hands.

I've had a play on both of the cameras, shooting photos, and i just love the way the D90 operates compared to the 450D.

So now i have a query on my hands. Settle for a camera that i like, which is £630 with 2 lenses. Or buy the camera i love which is £800 with one lens.

Cheers for all the input people.

I've been looking at cameras today, and i must say, i've fell in love with the Nikon D90. The robustness, weight and comfort of the camera just "fits". I'm 6'2" and the Canon 450D just felt a bit like a toy in my hands.

I've had a play on both of the cameras, shooting photos, and i just love the way the D90 operates compared to the 450D.

So now i have a query on my hands. Settle for a camera that i like, which is £630 with 2 lenses. Or buy the camera i love which is £800 with one lens.
Speaking from experience here, get the camera you love otherwise it will haunt you.

The D90 is a fine camera, you'll get lots of great pictures with it.

Oh, I forgot to ask, did you get a chance to handle a 40D or a 50D?

I didn't handle the 40D or the 50D. They didn't have either of them in the shop. However the 50D is a little out of my price range anyway. I think i am going to buy new rather than used.

What is the range of lenses like of the Nikon D90?

Is the mounting system the same as every other Nikon?

Thanks.

What is the range of lenses like of the Nikon D90?

Is the mounting system the same as every other Nikon?

Thanks.

You can use pretty much everything Nikon makes. You won't be able to meter with the older AI or AI-S lenses, and lenses older than the AI's won't mount. But every new lens or relatively new lens Nikon makes is good to go on it. A must have would be the 50mm 1.8d which is about $130 most places, but it's only a prime so you'll probably want a zoom too.

Ha ha...talk about ass backwards...

Or body? Out doors in conditions that require weather sealing leaves the OP with little choice in the way of entry level cameras that have complete weather sealing. But if they're shooting sports, they don't want a camera that shoots at 1.5fps while shooting raw. I think they'd probably want a body that shoots at 6.5fps.

And if they're planning on being a working pro and doing a lot of commercial work, a line of cameras with a full frame option or even looking at medium format would be a lot better than a manufacture that doesn't offer full frame options or has a tiny tiny sensor in the body.

Whats ass backwards? The Pentax? Many studios use Pentax and there are some great lenses (years worth available). They have a nice system. My main point is to look at the system.
.....I reread my post and I see what you are getting at, it came out I little wrong. LOL I conceed......I am ass backwards.

Ok. One more question.

Nikon D90 or Canon 40D?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back