Not sure which Canon to buy?

Yes.. you can get a used Rebel T2i with a kit lens and you still have money to buy another lens. Why are you arguing? I dont get it.

http://denver.craigslist.org/pho/2745215321.html

$
550 with kit lens. He will still have $250 to buy memory card, 50mm f/1.8, and something else.

From the beginning I suggested USED dslr. A lot of people buy rebels and decided photography is not their thing. You save some money and no tax.

Yes, but I'm arguing the point that you're saying 800$ won't get you anything NEW. There's 16 combinations that I found in 15 minutes of browsing amazon, and then you say that the combinations don't count simply because you don't like rebels? He's a beginner, he wants to get started, the rebels will work perfectly fine for him so I don't see why they should just be written off like that.

I also don't get the cheap factor there, IIRC many of the [new] combos I listed cost roughly same as that used one you offered so why buy used instead of new, if there isn't a cost difference?

Did I say won't? Go back and read.

Yes, but I'm arguing the point that you're saying 800$ won't get you anything NEW. There's 16 combinations that I found in 15 minutes of browsing amazon, and then you say that the combinations don't count simply because you don't like rebels? He's a beginner, he wants to get started, the rebels will work perfectly fine for him so I don't see why they should just be written off like that.

I also don't get the cheap factor there, IIRC many of the [new] combos I listed cost roughly same as that used one you offered so why buy used instead of new, if there isn't a cost difference?

ARE YOU KIDDING?! For $800 on used gear I can get what would have been about 2 grand worth of gear just 2-3 years ago. We're talking used semi-pro gear vs new entry level gear.

What you you choose for the same price... a Used BMW with 30,000 miles on it, or a new ford sedan? The difference in build quality and attention to detail is THAT big.

ARE YOU KIDDING?! For $800 on used gear I can get what would have been about 2 grand worth of gear just 2-3 years ago. We're talking used semi-pro gear vs new entry level gear.

I made the unfortunate mistake of trying to use this argument. It ended poorly.

Wouldn't a 1Ds or a 1D Mark II N body be a better choice? What with being 100$ cheaper [Than a brand new 7d] and being professional bodies and all, I wouldn't personally pay 100$ for something lesser when there's the choice.
Sure, if you want to buy a used camera with over 3/4 of its estimated shutter life gone as well as who knows what else wrong with it.

I made the unfortunate mistake of trying to use this argument. It ended poorly.

Sure, if you want to buy a used camera with over 3/4 of its estimated shutter life gone as well as who knows what else wrong with it.

I'd disagree. I've gone through 4 used camera bodies in the last 4 years. You can get a used Nikon D90 with less than 15,000 clicks for under $500 now... It was selling for about a grand 3 years ago, and is rated to 100,000 photos. I'll buy used over new EVERY time.

You're right and I agree with you, but again I'm not arguing in any way that new gear will be better then used pro gear. I'm simply arguing that 800$ WILL get you a decent amount of choices as a beginner, and won't 'hardly' get you anything unless you're a freaking professional or an advanced amateur, neither of which fit the OP's profile.

Buying used can be a bit intimidating for a complete beginner. I don't think I would have been comfortable with my judgement at that time. If the OP has any experienced buddies that could help.

You're right and I agree with you, but again I'm not arguing in any way that new gear will be better then used pro gear. I'm simply arguing that 800$ WILL get you a decent amount of choices as a beginner, and won't 'hardly' get you anything unless you're a freaking professional or an advanced amateur, neither of which fit the OP's profile.

Statements like this assume that you're comfortable buying something that you know you will replace. Beginners aren't beginners for long, and Rebel's are designed for beginners. Once you're no longer a beginner, and your rebel begins to frustrate you, you'll upgrade to the camera that you should've bought the first time. It just seems a costly and creatively limiting way to go about things. Lots of folks will disagree, but I really don't dig beginner gear, even for beginners. (fantastic plastic nifty fifty excluded)

It depends on what you're going to actually do and what you're going to need. Not everybody would need more AF points as they don't shoot sports and whatnot so therefore a rebel would suit them fine with it's low AF point number. Apply this to all the bases and only then will you be able to judge whether or not it's worth it to buy a beginners camera if the limitations will be so strong, OP states he doesn't want to face limitations but does not tell us what he intends to shoot that would actually warrant anything more then a rebel. That's why I say he doesn't fit the profile.

It depends on what you're going to actually do and what you're going to need. Not everybody would need more AF points as they don't shoot sports and whatnot so therefore a rebel would suit them fine with it's low AF point number. Apply this to all the bases and only then will you be able to judge whether or not it's worth it to buy a beginners camera if the limitations will be so strong, OP states he doesn't want to face limitations but does not tell us what he intends to shoot that would actually warrant anything more then a rebel. That's why I say he doesn't fit the profile.

Well, first off, to everyone, I'm a girl. lol But anyways I shoot a lot of people, animals, also still-life stuff. I do consider myself a beginner, HOWEVER, I learn pretty fast, and I am already familiar with the Rebel xti like I said before.

Statements like this assume that you're comfortable buying something that you know you will replace. Beginners aren't beginners for long, and Rebel's are designed for beginners. Once you're no longer a beginner, and your rebel begins to frustrate you, you'll upgrade to the camera that you should've bought the first time. It just seems a costly and creatively limiting way to go about things. Lots of folks will disagree, but I really don't dig beginner gear, even for beginners. (fantastic plastic nifty fifty excluded)

Exactly! That is what I don't want to run into. I want a camera that will be good for me now and even if it may be difficult to use at first, I'll be able to learn with it. I don't want to buy a camera now, get bored with it, and want to be a camera with more features, megapixels, etc. and then regret buying the first one because it was a waste of money. Like I said before I am a poor college student, and my mom is helping me out for Xmas and she doesn't mind spending the money but this is something that is an investment, a camera that I can use for at least 5 years or so and if anything upgrade the lenses along the way, without necessarily having to upgrade the body.

I also don't mind buying a used one either...I'm not against it at all, but like another poster mentioned it is a little intimidating since I haven't taken pictures with my Rebel in almost a year (since film is a drag without access to a dark room) so I would be afraid of someone ripping me off because I wouldn't necessarily know what to look for in making sure the camera is in good and working condition.

so do you have an Xti now? one thing is that it takes cf cards not sd like the t1, t2, t3 bodys. i know for me thats one reason i have not went up from the xti. just when i was going to get a 50d the 60 comes out and the 50 disappears. CL around me has the 50 for what it would have cost new so im just waiting and saving for the 7d.

I'm a beginner as well. About 6 years ago I bought the rebel xti brand new and paid $700 for the body and a lens. I thought it was a great camera to learn on and had no problems understanding it or switching to different settings. As I grew in what I know, I also met other people who have a passion for this hobby as well. Just this last week, I sold my xti for 400 and paid 600 for the canon 1dmark ll. I tend to think I got a good deal and did it right for me. It sounds like you have people who share your interest. Listen to them and what they have to say and keep in mind if they have it newer when you are ready to upgrade, so are they and will probably give you a great deal! Have fun!:)

I don't think the T2i is a super pro camera but is excellent for us newbies. I got mine this summer and don't regret it but I know that I'll be upgrading in a couple of years once I understand the whole game.
I think your best option is here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/675618-REG/Canon_4462B003_EOS_Rebel_T2i_Digital.html I believe you can combine more items including an extra lens for more discounts and the best parts is that they're all new ;)

Sent from my iPhone using PhotographyForum app

Most reactions

Back