Not sure which Canon to buy?

photogenetic19

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been saving up for a couple of years to get a good DSLR camera and I love and am already familiar with Canon. I took photography all four years of high school, the first two years learning about film and the last two years learning about digital work. During my film years, I learned how to work in the dark room as well as scan negatives and finish prints on the computer, and I used my mom's Canon Rebel xti. Then, during my digital years, I did not have a DSLR so I just used my standard Olympus point and shoot camera, which was fine for this class designed for beginners. However, this camera had low megapixels (I can't remember the exact number atm) so the resolution was not so great. I'm very skilled in photoshop as this was how we edited all of our photos for the class. I am now a sophomore in college and I miss photography so much. I want to get a good Canon DSLR that will allow me to grow with it and last me a long time. I have been researching a little and it seems that the Canon EOS Rebel T3i and the Canon EOS Rebel T2i are both pretty good cameras, and from what I heard they are good for both beginners and intermediate level photographers, which is what I want since I don't want to be limited by lack of features. Do you have any advice or thoughts on what might be a good camera for me? I don't mind spending the money if it will last me a while and allow me to make high resolution prints, however $800 is roughly my limit.

Personally I would buy a used camera + good lens. $800 for a new camera will hardly get you anything.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
All of those combinations you mentioned are cameras designed to be cheap paired with lenses designed to be cheap... I wouldn't go for any of them.

Used 40D + 50mm 1.4 would also be $800, and I would chose it in a second over anything Rebel, and over any of those very slow zoom lenses.

All of those combinations you mentioned are cameras designed to be cheap paired with lenses designed to be cheap... I wouldn't go for any of them.

Analog.universe--you would be called a bad,bad Canon end-user by the folks in Tokyo!!! Canon sells boatloads of those low-end combos. Those are what people want! Just ask the management at Canon...they will confirm that those are THE biggest-selling items. Highest sales volumes, most total profit for Canon.

Analog.universe--you would be called a bad,bad Canon end-user by the folks in Tokyo!!!

I don't doubt it. :)

Canon's entry level is targeted at folks who want high quality snapshots (oxymoron alert), not at photographers without much budget. The rebels with their kit lenses are useful for some people, but I wouldn't recommend them to someone who's spent years learning photography and wants equipment that they can grow with. Those folks are not the target for Rebels... The bodies lack critical dedicated controls, and the lenses are useless in low light.

Aye guys...not helping here lol. Especially that huge list of cameras... o__o

Yeah, a lot of people are also telling me that I should just buy a Rebel xti again just with a different lens, since the lenses are interchangeable between film and digital Canons. I loved the Rebel, but I also I want something that's not so out of date and something I can have for 10-20 years and still be reliable.

Getting anything now and expecting it to last 10-20 years is a bit of a stretch I think. However I would also recommend one of the Rebels and a better lens. That's the route I went, and I don't regret it.

Getting anything now and expecting it to last 10-20 years is a bit of a stretch I think. However I would also recommend one of the Rebels and a better lens. That's the route I went, and I don't regret it.

Thanks! Yeah it may be a stretch since technology is forever growing but I'm just trying to get my point across. I don't want to spend money on a camera that I'll be limited by in a few years and then want to get another. I'd like to be satisfied for a while, especially since I'm a poor college student :mad:

OP--take a peek at analog.universe's sig file and the gear list he has there...not a lot of stuff...just a few rock-solid, lifetime-type lenses...that might give you an idea of where he's coming from. To me, the LACK of a dedicated "two-button" control is what makes the Canon Rebel series and the low-est end Nikon bodies un-desirable for manual mode exposure setting. Also, the Rebel bodies and the low-est end Nikons have a good percentage of the settings one will want to adjust buried in menus...once you learn more about photography, it becomes a PITA to adjust a Rebel or a lowest end Nikon's somewhat basic adjustment parameters by first going to a menu, then finding the correct menu, and only then, being able to make adjustments to the camera's settings...

"High-resolution prints" can be made from TOP-quality 12,14,16,or 18 megapixel captures. That means a good lens, with a STEADY camera (flash or tripod if at slower speeds/dimmer light), and good focus, and a shutter speed that stops ALL motion. A 12 MP file can be up-rezzed in post to make a high-quality image. A used camera would be okay I think, I really do.

Yeah, $800 is pretty tight for a new camera. You can find the T2i on sale for $600 w/ a basic lens. Some of the bigger lenses are on sale too (I believe I saw one that is normally $250 for $100. Check on line but it's also very possible a local store can/will match especially the more established places (eg. B & N.) From my understanding and seeing the two the main difference is the T3i has a swivel screen which can help in certain situations but other than that their virtually the same. One other important thing that was emphasized to me in my search is your first brand is likely your brand for *life.* However, from what I learned you can't go wrong with a cannon and you already have had good experiences with one. As for 20 years, now that we're in the digital age technology changes so quickly you're likely going to want something newer within a few years (although it's not like a gaming PC where if you don't upgrade every 2-4 years you can't run the latest games.) Remember in 5 years you hopefully will be making full use of your degree and no longer a poor student, so you can start saving for the next body...unless you have a PhD in mind :) (And of course, hopefully your lenses, etc will carry over to any future bodies.)

Personally I would buy a used camera + good lens. $800 for a new camera will hardly get you anything.

Yup.. I stand corrected. Just bunch of rebels with lens kit = hardly get you anything. I rather get a used rebel+kit lens plus a better lens. Just my 2 cents.

Just bunch of rebels with lens kit = hardly get you anything.

it seems that the Canon EOS Rebel T3i and the Canon EOS Rebel T2i are both pretty good cameras, and from what I heard they are good for both beginners

Yeah, not that he was looking to get rebels or anything.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back