Not taking a photo

“It's the action, not the fruit of the action, that's important. You have to do the right thing. It may not be in your power, may not be in your time, that there'll be any fruit. But that doesn't mean you stop doing the right thing. You may never know what results come from your action. But if you do nothing, there will be no result.”

Mahatma Gandhi

I'm never sure why people try to keep others from trying to achieve but it seems that it must stem from a deep and bitter disappointment about themselves.

and yet in your thread The Golden Age of Photography (The Golden Age of Photography Page 4 Photography Forum this was your position:

I have a preference based on thought and decision.
So I come to each image and look at the image as it is.
And I don't give any credit for effort put into it because that indeed would be a bias,
If you do give credit for process, that's your decision, based on personal preference - and is a bias.
Sort of like social promotions.
I believe in meritocracies in photography.

Something of a contradiction there. Are you bitter and disappointed or simply up to your usual stirring tricks?

“It's the action, not the fruit of the action, that's important. You have to do the right thing. It may not be in your power, may not be in your time, that there'll be any fruit. But that doesn't mean you stop doing the right thing. You may never know what results come from your action. But if you do nothing, there will be no result.”

Mahatma Gandhi

and yet in your thread The Golden Age of Photography (The Golden Age of Photography Page 4 Photography Forum this was your position:

And I don't give any credit for effort put into it because that indeed would be a bias,
If you do give credit for process, that's your decision, based on personal preference - and is a bias.

Something of a contradiction there. Are you bitter and disappointed or simply up to your usual stirring tricks?

I would have thought the context would have made it clear but......

In the quote, I was referring to how I look at others' work.
Comments on work as it appears, without regard to the necessary effort, is vital feedback for anyone whether they are working hard to create art or trying to build a skill to be a craftsman.

If every photo has already been taken in 100 years or so then I shudder to think how the world of sculpting, metalwork, sketching, painting etc.. and nearly al other forms of traditional* art * manage in today's world where everything must have been done 10001 times already.

Perhaps because nearly all other forms of traditional art espouse originality. As I see it, photography is by its very nature ill-equipped
to do this. I do not wish to suggest that there is no novelty in the activity, only that it is very seldom witnessed. This is why, although I have a long-standing interest in photography, I personally rarely think of it as art. I'm not knocking it and don't think of it as inferior in any way - just different.
i like to paint.
Photography pics i care about the most are special moments, kids pics, catching the moment. Secondary are basics of my life, where i live, what i am doing. Little history and record purpose.

Third and least important, is when i am doing photography as abstracts, attempted art etc. etc.
Those are pretty much the ones i don't care so much about (but it is entertainment). Anything i shoot with film i generally regard higher in value, least to me. Over digital. Even if it might be a crappier pic.
There is something to be said for going through the practice of doing it. Just like building a model airplane, reconditioning a car, anything. Much of it is the process, which is what makes it a enthusiasts hobby. Often i care more about taking the photos, than the actual photos. Not very different than someone that might rebuild or recondtion a car only to sell it and start another one.. Part of it, is just in the process. Even if you go back and delete the photo or toss the exposed film into the trash.

Last edited:

Mahatma Gandhi

I would have thought the context would have made it clear but......

In the quote, I was referring to how I look at others' work.
Comments on work as it appears, without regard to the necessary effort, is vital feedback for anyone whether they are working hard to create art or trying to build a skill to be a craftsman.
you won't make anyone have greater skills or be a craftsman if you just look at the final image. The final image is the result, not the practice or learning phase nor does it take into account intent and methodology.
Someone can take a good photo on auto who don't know chit just on sheer luck. Also with processing, the final image can vary from what they shot. That is not craft or skill in shooting. Art isn't even valued just based on "the final image" anymore than a house is just valued based on "the final image" with no consideration given to efforts in construction. Your outlook is the opposite of artistry, craft or skill.

Here's another fresh, original photo subject, with , "About 5,900,200" results.

photos of Half Dome - Google Search

Take the photo? Or just buy the postcards? Delude yourself into thinking you're doing original "art" here with this subject? Or realize what the reality is?
meh.
Huge fan of reality.
Take the photo with your kid or a friend in the frame it will mean more. konica t4 fuji 400

28_890633030002.JPG

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back