Not the greatest , BUT still rewarding. By LightSpeed

LightSpeed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As some of you know, I go to great lengths to get a shot.
Days and hours in the swamps, the woods, you name it. Most of the time I come back with nothing.
This is an Otter, in the wild. It's not a great shot, and I thought about not posting it, then I said fk it.
Cause that's not what it's about. I'm never going 100% and neither is anyone else with a camera.
So anywho. I was at the wrong place at the right time.
Fallen trees, sticks and stems sticking up everywhere and when I spotted them, I couldn't move.
That's not how it works in the wild. They were so far away, that when they started coming towards me, I thought they were ducks.
I froze. They came within shooting distance of a 200mm tammy. Then before you know it they headed the other way. There were 3 of them.
I stayed frozen, they circled back and went to a floating log but were too far away. I heard crunching and noticed one eating something but couldn't tell what it was.
At first, I'm thinking , well, he caught a fish. The long shot thru the weeds confirms it wasn't a fish. Dude caught a good sized turtle, made him a kill and was feasting.
They then came right up to me and never saw me.
Yes, I consider this a snap shot. But not for lack of effort.

Why do I share this? Because that's how it goes sometimes. I aint afraid to admit it. lol
In the wild, these critters have INCREDIBLE senses. You can't just do what you want. You have to be there.
Next time.............and that's how you gotta look at this shyt. At least what I try to do, anyway.

6592164667_a000edf782_b.jpg

Yes it was a turtle alright.
This is cropped bigger than shyt, so you ( AND I ) can see it. I wanted to know what he caught. AND I had to get the shot while he was still diving under and tussling for the kill.
I'd hate to be bitten by one of these critters. I estimate him to be 4 feet long or better from the tip of his nose to where his tail starts.
He was a big Otter. Yes we have Otters in Louisiana.
6591986169_be5d9fcdf1_b.jpg

I know...................he's looking the wrong way.

Last edited:
I really like the 1st one! Composition is nice IMO,and very sharp! Second one is cute. I'd make another "thank god they're facing the right way" joke, but that might be getting old.

Hey Lightspeed, I think it's a great shot. well framed, sharp focus. Cool texture on the back of the otter. You'd never get this in a zoo.

I love the first one. To me a big part of photography is capturing a moment, and you actually captured this moment better than you seem to give yourself credit for. you could probably get a better composition if you went to the zoo and spent an hour in front of the otter habitat, even get a shot of him "facing the right way" (I still think that rule is b.s. in as many shots as it is valid even when people are being serious) but honestly, a shot of an animal in the wild hunting his prey is 1000 times more interesting to me. Great shot!

I really like the 1st one! Composition is nice IMO,and very sharp! Second one is cute. I'd make another "thank god they're facing the right way" joke, but that might be getting old.
You can never disappoint me Rose. Keep doing what you do. That's why I like you.

Hey Lightspeed, I think it's a great shot. well framed, sharp focus. Cool texture on the back of the otter. You'd never get this in a zoo.

Thank you sir. I've seen some of your work, and you're not too shabby. Compliment well received.
Could have been better. Next time. That's me motto.
You're right. You'd never get this at a zoo.

Last edited:
I like it. I understand wildlife is never as easy as people think. Great work!

I like it. I understand wildlife is never as easy as people think. Great work!

Thank you big D.
I can do better than this.
Next time.
I promise it'll be better.

good shot, Lightspeed! In the wild, sometimes you take what you can get... it sure isn't a studio!! lol!

I also agree with #1 being the best of the two. Great Job.

Thanks PG, and you keep workin on it man. There's at least one person on this forum waiting for you to come up with " that shot."
The one that makes em look twice.

#1 is my favorite also, the composition is good with the otter creating a diagonal line with the log framing the top and the reflection of the branch framing the right side. The picture is sharp and well lit. Not to mention the quality of the photo, I think one of the most rewarding experiences would be to just see one of these creatures in the wild, hunting no less! Personally I compare wildlife photography to hunting, the thrill of seeing a wild creature and attempting to get close enough for your "kill" there's nothing like it! Great job Lightspeed!

Joe

i really like #1 too!!!! awesome shot.

and just from the few hours the daughter and i spent at the zoo, i can understand how difficult it is getting some of the shots you get. ESPECIALLY in the wild.

it helped me to gain a much better appreciation for yours and others work..

​even when they are looking the wrong way. ;)

#1 is good.
Sounds like you need a longer lense. Better start saving.

i really like #1 too!!!! awesome shot.

and just from the few hours the daughter and i spent at the zoo, i can understand how difficult it is getting some of the shots you get. ESPECIALLY in the wild.

it helped me to gain a much better appreciation for yours and others work..

​even when they are looking the wrong way. ;)

Thank you sir. I hope you get into some of this. It's tough , but rewarding.
I did the zoo once too. I felt like I was cheating but walked away from it with a couple of decent shots.

#1 is good.
Sounds like you need a longer lense. Better start saving.

I'm looking at the new 50-500mm Sigma, OR a 400mm prime.
The sigma gets really good reviews but then there is nothing else like it in its class.
I think a 400mm prime might be a better choice. What about you?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back