Not too impressed with Canon 50mm 1.8 lens

Hard to tell what the problem is on such small pictures. The links to your flickr (by clicking on the picture) just say that the photo is private. Sorry, but we can't really help with photo's of this size...

Sorry they came up small... I put the pics on private so none of my friends could see them lol. thats probably why it wouldn't let ya.
So, um..., just switch them over to public... Why don't you want your friends to see them?

They may have focus issues, but it doesn't look like anything I would try to hide from my friends...

Yup def not used to going below 4.6 or somewhere near that number hahaha

4.6?? You have some funny stops on your setup.

HAHAHA I know!! I'm wicked tired and laying in bed and just grabbed a number off the top of my head lol! I knew it'd be wrong lol!! I'd have to get up and go look at the camera and lens b/c well NOOOBIE alert hahaha I dont have it memorized. My brain is fried from work and reading lol

Hard to tell what the problem is on such small pictures. The links to your flickr (by clicking on the picture) just say that the photo is private. Sorry, but we can't really help with photo's of this size...

Sorry they came up small... I put the pics on private so none of my friends could see them lol. thats probably why it wouldn't let ya.
So, um..., just switch them over to public... Why don't you want your friends to see them?

They may have focus issues, but it doesn't look like anything I would try to hide from my friends...

Yea I guess thats true.. I guess its the perfectionist in me. I'll switch um over right now :)

i know i did have some come out that way that i didn't delete so it very well could be they were those that i posted

May I ask why you use manual focus instead of auto?

Also, when you shoot, do you place a focus point directly over the spot you want to focus on, or do you focus with the center point, and then recompose before finishing pressing the shutter? That might be adding to your problems as well.
Especially using wide open apertures...

Why Focus-Recompose Sucks

Thanks for that link! I'm a noob and a big focus-and-recompose guy. I'll just start using my other AF points instead.

I use a 50mm f/1.8 with no problems. I always shoot with the lowest aperture. But I also do a lot of low light shoots.

You're photos at least the first couple look under exposed.

Use your AF points one at a time. Compose the shot, look at the AF points and focus on the eyes.

I rarely use my 50mm, because I have far better weapons in my arsenal. But I have it for whenever I may need it. Which seems to be almost never.

But for a $120? You can't go wrong. Its pretty much a throwaway.

I just got one of these, and it is simply less forgiving than the kit lens, for example. I have plenty of first shots with missed focus, Depth of Field too small for the subject, etc. But I am working to improve my use of it. As a lens I could afford right now, I think it'll be great...just takes practise. :)

I have also been taking note on the "focus - recompose" thing...food for thought.

As far as under exposing goes. The ways to fix that is to adjust my aperture and iso correct? I know it sounds like a stupid question but Id figure I'd ask ;) Ive been reading the book understanding exposure.

Slowly but surely getting better.

If you're using a canon you can set it up to view what you're shooting through the LCD screen then you can push the zoom button and manual focus that way. I would advise looking through your cameras manual and learning to focus that way.

50mm 1.8 is a great first lens... my advice dont shoot 1.8 unless you truly understand why... very shallow DOF i wouldnt adjust your ISO unless you have too. in that shoot your outside should be at around 200iso. ISO will affect quality the higher the # the worse the pic. try 125 shutter priority out side this will stop the motion and give you plenty of DOF to get really sharp images

Accurately manually focusing at 1.8 is really difficult with the stock focusing screen on most cameras. It's more designed for brightness, than actually showing you what's in focus. Live view as suggested is the best way to ensure accurate focus without upgrading your focusing screen, but it takes a really long time to set up a shot this way.

If you're using a canon you can set it up to view what you're shooting through the LCD screen then you can push the zoom button and manual focus that way. I would advise looking through your cameras manual and learning to focus that way.

Thanks I have today and tomorow off so I'll go thru the manual :) since i have the time thank you!

Most reactions

Back