Notice on the use of Beginners Forum

vtf said:
I agree, and these complaints are coming from the same people that are updating their computers every year or have to have the 5th Iphone in 3 years. If it's techonology, it'll update tomorrow.

But they are the same type of mistakes that brought myspace down, when Facebook became a viable alternative. With the introduction of google+, a few wrong moves by Facebook could EASILY cost them a large portion of their users.

I agree with those that say hat the beginner's section should be more broad and include all that a beginner wishes to know. It annoys the hell out of me though that there are so many photos in the beginner's forum that are clearly not taken by beginners. It's disingeuous to post there if you are no longer a beginner. I've moved on from being a beginner, although still learning. The only photo I have posted in the beginner's section was an updated one from my very first post. Posting non beginner's post is detracting from what the point of the beginner's gallery and forum is meant to be about and really quite selfish of those who are not beginners to post there. Or else these people could be the new Ansel Adams and picked up just like that.

The view that you have to post in Beginners to get attention is a false one - esp since most of the active posting longer term members surf the site in new posts rather than subsection by subsection. Beginners might nab you more views, but its not views its replies that count ;)
Ok. Somehow it doesn't seem to pan out that way sometimes.

So what is the criteria for being a beginner?

I have seen this forum through many changes, and while I have not always been an active poster and have taken a number of absences, I have seen this forum grow from a few categories to the land of many, maybe too many. When I joined I a used a point and shoot and didn't get my first DSLR until the summer of 2010. I have a background in art and I read a lot, but in most ways I still consider myself a beginner. I have never made any money off of my photography either through shoots or sales. I shoot fully manually and have for about a year.

I personally find it very confusing. I would struggle to post in other categories for fear of seeming egotistical and assuming that I had reached a level where my work belonged there. Expecially true when so much emphasis is placed on those beginners who do overstep their skills and they get torn apart for taking jobs that are beyond their level.

I have been a member since 2003 and this isn't a new problem, I don't have any answers, but I do see how it happens.

The beginner forum is where the party is!

Darn it if you all stop saying it it won't be true ;) The more you advocate the thought the more others read it and react to it.

As for what counts as a beginner this has always been a bit of a grey area in truth and almost all but the most egotistical can count themselves as a beginner in some way or another (you might have 30 years experience but be a beginner macro shooter since the 30 years was spent doing motorsports). In the end I've never really seen anyone be insulted nor driven out of any other section for asking questions that are "too beginnerish". In fact outside of beginners there are no stipulations on the level of understanding you need and we really only have gear sections, galleries (and subject discussions).

They didn't give me that delete button :(

I got a member delete button though :)

Why do you post or share your photos? Because you want too show off your shots! That's what its al about isn't it.
And it's a common that most of us not really believe it's good enough to show it anywhere else "Beginners"
I am certainly convinced to classify myself as a beginner, why cos I still don't understand all those technical exercises
with exposures, apertures and so on. I just shoot and adjust on the spot and don't follow any rules if I know any!

Why do you post or share your photos? Because you want too show off your shots! That's what its al about isn't it.
And it's a common that most of us not really believe it's good enough to show it anywhere else "Beginners"
I am certainly convinced to classify myself as a beginner, why cos I still don't understand all those technical exercises
with exposures, apertures and so on. I just shoot and adjust on the spot and don't follow any rules if I know any!

The problem is that some are using the beginner's section for professional shots. not even necessarily for when they are looking for assistance. Some are blatantly not just starting out

And some move to the professional pages way too soon.

There should be a "General Discussion" thread.

WOW!

I agree with those that say hat the beginner's section should be more broad and include all that a beginner wishes to know. It annoys the hell out of me though that there are so many photos in the beginner's forum that are clearly not taken by beginners. It's disingeuous to post there if you are no longer a beginner. I've moved on from being a beginner, although still learning. The only photo I have posted in the beginner's section was an updated one from my very first post. Posting non beginner's post is detracting from what the point of the beginner's gallery and forum is meant to be about and really quite selfish of those who are not beginners to post there. Or else these people could be the new Ansel Adams and picked up just like that.

Or, they could just be beginners who followed simple advice and wound up with a half decent shot.

WOW!

What's so surprising about that? Is that not typical of a beginner?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back