Novatron?

Reyna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A photog friend of mine is loaning me her novatron lighting kit to see if I like it. She has alien bees so never uses it. She does not have the plug to sync with my camera though :( and I don't want to buy anything just yet until I figure out what I want.

So, the other day, I get to it, to see how I like it. I set up white seamless paper, & put the 2 umbrellas on each side of the subject. There is one other naked light but I didn't use it. (Not to sure where to put it)

Anyway, to my issue. I was taking pictures of my husband and 2 boys. In order to have them all in focus, I used f/5.6 but in turn, this made my shutter speed extremely low! (ISO-400). I wasen't able to get a good picture b/c both boys are toddlers and were moving around.

Then I tried f/2.5 1/60 sec. ISO-400 which gave me a lot more light but it was hard to get everyone in focus. So I used my flash and got shadows!

I was just wondering if someone could offer any advice? I have been doing some research, (I know, google is my friend) but still wanted to get some advice from y'all on here.

Are these flashes/strobes or continuous lighting?

If they are strobes, then the shutter speed is somewhat irrelevant. The shutter sync speed on your flashes/strobes is likely 1/200 of a second or 1/250th of a second. So set your shutter to that.

If they are continuous lights... Make sure you are using a tripod.

On a personal note: I invested in a set of low wattage continuous lights. It was a bad investment, pretty much a waste of money. I soon after purchased a set of monolights/strobes and am now quite happy with them. If you are in the states, I would look at the Adorama Flashpoint lights. They are relatively cheap and I have heard very good things about them.

Reyna, It sounds like you were using the Novatron flashes' modeling lights to shoot by...you definitely need some way to synchronize the flash units with your camera's shutter!!! I would suggest buying a synch cord, and connecting the Novatron power pack to your camera using the synch cord, and discovering the world of flash photography.

When you use strobed light, shutter speed is used differently than how it is used for available light photography.

The duration of the strobed (flash) light stops motion, not the shutter speed. Shutter speed is used to control the ambient light exposure and the lens aperture controls the DOF and the strobed light exposure.

You can also set your camera so the strobed light fires when the shutter first opens (front curtain sync) or just before it closes (rear curtain sync). (Page 66 of your D60 users manual.).

A photog friend of mine is loaning me her novatron lighting kit to see if I like it. She has alien bees so never uses it. She does not have the plug to sync with my camera though :( and I don't want to buy anything just yet until I figure out what I want.

So, the other day, I get to it, to see how I like it. I set up white seamless paper, & put the 2 umbrellas on each side of the subject. There is one other naked light but I didn't use it. (Not to sure where to put it)

Anyway, to my issue. I was taking pictures of my husband and 2 boys. In order to have them all in focus, I used f/5.6 but in turn, this made my shutter speed extremely low! (ISO-400). I wasen't able to get a good picture b/c both boys are toddlers and were moving around.

Then I tried f/2.5 1/60 sec. ISO-400 which gave me a lot more light but it was hard to get everyone in focus. So I used my flash and got shadows!

I was just wondering if someone could offer any advice? I have been doing some research, (I know, google is my friend) but still wanted to get some advice from y'all on here.

OK, stab in the dark, but you say your friend didn't have the cord to sync the lights with? I'm taking it that they're flashes and you were attempthing to take photos with just the modeling lights.

If I'm right, I'd like a gold star, a cookie, and 10¢ sent to me in small unmarked coins.

If so, I believe you need a cable with the H connector on it like this one:
0055.jpg

The cable you need will depend on your camera. Also, optical triggers are available so you can trigger the strobes with your pop up flash. That's if they really aren't continuous that is.

Yes, I was using continuous lighting.

I have not purchased anything b/c I'm not sure what lighting I want to buy. I don't want to buy a sync cord and then buy some other lighting kit that comes with it.

When you use strobed light, shutter speed is used differently than how it is used for available light photography.

The duration of the strobed (flash) light stops motion, not the shutter speed. Shutter speed is used to control the ambient light exposure and the lens aperture controls the DOF and the strobed light exposure.

You can also set your camera so the strobed light fires when the shutter first opens (front curtain sync) or just before it closes (rear curtain sync). (Page 66 of your D60 users manual.).

Will rear curtain sync work with a non Nikon off camera flash?

Will rear curtain sync work with a non Nikon off camera flash?
Yes. The trigger signal is generated by the camera.

I just found a cord for only 9.99 at a local camera store so I will go and buy that tonight.

I'm going to be honest, this is all pretty confusing to me. Guess I will try again tonight with my sync cord, set my shutter to 1/200 and see how it works. One more question... I won't need my flash with this??

Of course your pictures are not turning out like you want. You have strobe lights and you are not using them correctly. They are not meant to be used the way you used them. The modeling light in them is just for that, modeling so you can see where the shadows are before you take the picture. They are not powerful enough to light a portrait. If you want to use continous lighting then you buy continuous lights. Sinc chords are only around $20. They are not camera specific, they are light specific. The chord plugs into your PC connector. If your camera does not have one you can get a cheap PC hot shoe cube. Back in 2001 when we first started using digital we always plugged the lights in a cube on the camera's hot shoe because we were worried about the electronics in the camera getting messed up if we plugged the lights directly into the camera. ( Yeah, we were young and stupid :biggrin: )

Oh....Reyna...one additional bit of kit you will want if using a synch cord is a way to connect a synch cord to your camera....which in the case of the Nikon D60, happens to be a camera that does not have a PC connector. Sooooooo...the easiest thing to buy is the Nikon AS-15 (accessory shoe, style 15). The AS-15 slides into the hot shoe of any camera (Canon,Nikon, Pentax, whatever) and has a thumb wheel that locks it into place, and connects to the center contact of the hot shoe, and then on the front of the AS-15, thee is a PC connector outlet.

The AS-15 is actually very useful when doing PC connection flash, like on cameras that have an idiotically-positioned PC connector location, like the Canon 5's stupidly-placed one on the left hand side of the body, under a little rubber flappy thing. it re-located the PC connector to a place where one will not constantly cause the flash to come un-hooked.

Does the D60 have a PC connector? If not, you're probably not going to find a direct connection. You may have to get a hotshoe adapter to connect the sync cable to. Makes sure it's long enough as well.

Oh....Reyna...one additional bit of kit you will want if using a synch cord is a way to connect a synch cord to your camera....which in the case of the Nikon D60, happens to be a camera that does not have a PC connector. Sooooooo...the easiest thing to buy is the Nikon AS-15 (accessory shoe, style 15). The AS-15 slides into the hot shoe of any camera (Canon,Nikon, Pentax, whatever) and has a thumb wheel that locks it into place, and connects to the center contact of the hot shoe, and then on the front of the AS-15, thee is a PC connector outlet.

The AS-15 is actually very useful when doing PC connection flash, like on camera that have an idiotically-positioned PC connector location, like the Canon 5's stupidly-placed one on the left hand side of the body, under a little rubber flappy thing.

Really? Like Nikon's SB 800 doesn't have their PC connector on the left hand side under a "little flappy thing".

The flash is supposed to be weather resistant.

Most reactions

Back