Now that I have Mamiya RZ series. more help needed.....

ultrajeeps

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

Now that I have a medium format and as I am doing more and more research, I find a need to get more gear to accomodate this camera. To start with, I have a QUANTUM flash system with turbo battery, it is a very nice system, I like the results but as per my recent research, I think I might need to get a little more powerful flash system:

Here is what I think:

1. Perhaps I should stay with my quantum but I will be shooting automobiles indoor for dvd and web production.(In the past I have used my AE1P with my quantum flash).

2. I should get some soft boxes to really smooth the environment lighting.

3. What do you think about Lumedyne?

5. what about norman systems?

6. Why not go for a Photogenics strob while holding onto my quantum sys.

I know I am asking too many questions, but I have concluded that I learn so much at the PHOTO FORUM then any book or barnes & nobles. And the truth is that most of the pros I run into have become so arrogant and simply didn't want to share their knowledge.

For the past 15 years, I have been involved in technical field and have helped all those who have approached me for my knowledge without fearing that they might learn my secrets and I will end up jobless.

I really appreciate your input and knowledge.

Thanks.

You need BIG softboxes for vehicles. A company in UK called Strobe used to make the beasts pros used in my day (god I sound a hoary old fart - I'm only talking 80's). The lights were called swimming pools - they were about 8'x10' and you daisy chained Strobe packs so they kicked out something like 100kJoules.
I'm sure other companies make something similar.
You could rig up some big white flats and bounce some brunettes off them.
The main thing is to get a soft even light like north light on a bright overcast day. Gives a nice satin sheen to the vehicles and cuts down on specular highlights and other hot spots. The more powerful the light used the fewer problems you get.
Hope this helps

Most reactions

Back