NSFW: What exactly are the laws regarding shooting teens nude?

slackercruster

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last edited:
As long as you're 18+ your good? Anything below that is just wrong.

Sorry, no definitive answer here, but I'm sure you're aware that some photographers have earned their living at photographing teens and younger children. Why not ask them how they get away with it?

Watched Art:21 DVD. They had a segment on Sally Mann. She did lots of nudes of her own kids. They didn't go into it much. Just boiled down to 'they were there, nude, so I shot them.'

Shouldn't even be a thought if they're under 18.

under 18.. parental / guardian consent... with a strong contract? For art... almost anything appears to be permissible.

I would consult an attorney, personally...

I wouldn't even THINK of doing any kind of photography involving minors and anything even CLOSE to nudity. don't want that kind of hassle. don't want that kind of reputation. don't want the kind of trouble it could bring.

I disagree. The time when small children are young and innocent is beautiful, and they have no body taboos (haven't been ingrained by society yet)... and capturing this beauty is not wrong (If it is truly art.. anything else is wrong). The time a young person starts going through those changes that cause us to become men and women... is a powerful time. Documenting that for the emotional impact, and the beauty and pain that exists during that time... and sharing that with the world? What is wrong with that.. it speaks to all of us.

Please leave out religious values... :)

I disagree. The time when small children are young and innocent is beautiful, and they have no body taboos (haven't been ingrained by society yet)... and capturing this beauty is not wrong (If it is truly art.. anything else is wrong). The time a young person starts going through those changes that cause us to become men and women... is a powerful time. Documenting that for the emotional impact, and the beauty and pain that exists during that time... and sharing that with the world? What is wrong with that.. it speaks to all of us.

absolutely...its when you throw in the word "nude" that it gets a little more complicated. and all of the stigma that goes along with it.
I would be too afraid of the social and possible legal ramifications of those kinds of pictures to ever try it. not saying its "wrong" per say, in the proper context of course,
but its definitely not something i would be brave enough to attempt. and have no desire to anyway.

I think anyone considering such photography should do some deep self-reflection and examine his/her motives, because, even those photographers with the purest intentions are not immune from the potential wrath of a zealous prosecutor, an unhappy parent, or a regretful subject. Jock Sturges published beautiful fine art photos of naturist families he knew well, and still he was hounded legally. Unless you are prepared to put yourself and your family through the kind of hell that could precipitate from shooting teens nude, you shouldn't bother with this genre.

Forget the law. It won't protect you from someone with an agenda.

I agree.. but that doesn't make it right! Between the religionists on one side, and the sicko pervs on the other... it can be a very nasty situation. No matter how pure the intentions of the photographer! (but that doesn't make it wrong.. just a political and social nightmare!)

Forget the law. It won't protect you from someone with an agenda.

I agree.. but that doesn't make it right! Between the religionists on one side, and the sicko pervs on the other... it can be a very nasty situation. No matter how pure the intentions of the photographer! (but that doesn't make it wrong.. just a political and social nightmare!)

^THIS.
When we hear "Nude" we tend to think "sexual", and when we hear "nude" and "minor" we think "pervert."
But it's not necessarily true...

I have some great photos of my kids, buck-nekkid. :D It's adorable, because they are innocent and pure and beautiful. I even have one of them (both boys) nekkid in the tub WITH their nekkid GIRL cousins! OMG!! :D

I love these photos, but would never, ever post them...not because the photos are "wrong" but because there are too many pervs out there. By the same token, I don't think I'd ever photograph a nude minor not related to me--again, not because it is NECESSARILY "wrong" or "perverted" but because it is such a touchy area and can be taken and used in ways it was not intended.

<~~~ That's me!! But here's another a little bigger... With my boyfriend at a wedding
xiaowang6.jpg

???????

Most reactions

New Topics

Back